Options

Warning: Naked Mannequins

RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,912 moderator
edited March 18, 2017 in Street and Documentary

I celebrated the end of winter by picking up a new lens, the Canon 24-105 f/4L. I took it out for a test drive yesterday and came across a rather surrealistic scene:

I don't know what those guys were shooting, but they sure were fussing a lot about the placement of the mannequins. Made my day :wink: . Oh, and so far I'm quite happy with my new toy.

Comments

• Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2017

Quite an interesting scene to stumble upon. That one guy in # 3 seems to be enjoying his job....perhaps a little too forcefully.

I can depend on you for eclectic offerings.

Stay safe, buddy,

Tom

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,236 moderator

Looks like a good test for your new lens!
    My favorites are #1 and #6. And #5 makes its own kind of statement - mannequins and statues...

• Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins

Lots of fun! I like the first one a lot.

• Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins

Good series of street...

Rags
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,179 moderator

Was this an art installation? No. 3! Wow. I want to believe he's just placing the mannequin on it's stand, but you just never know with a static pic like that. Glad you like your new 24-105. It has been a workhorse for me over the years.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2017

Good scene to find re potential pics - re my usual comment on the w/life forum about using a low(er) pov - - makes me wonder what this scene would've produced from a viewpoint height change?
    I bought one of these lenses a couple of yrs ago specifically for my daughter's wedding ... and have been quite happy with its performance.

1 would probably (just) get my vote.

pp

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator

Surreal indeed!! I favor the #5. I like the simple lines and positioning.

I just wish the statue was on the viewer's left side of the door facing center, and the mannequins were on the right looking left also toward the door.

These scenes do offer some interesting material for composite images, don't they?

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,829 Major grins

Wonderful series Richard. My favorite are 5 & 6.

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator

Hysterical series! #3 is not to be believed. :#

• Options
    edited March 20, 2017

Thanks so much, everyone. Glad you enjoyed them. It was a lucky find.

@David_S85 said:
    Was this an art installation?

I don't really know what it was all about. My guess is that they were shooting a video, maybe for an ad. There were no huge lights around, so it probably wasn't for a movie. An art installation like that would last about ten minutes here before being defaced, especially since it's right in front of a high school. So I kind of doubt it. In the past, I've been chased away by film crews, so I try to be discreet when shooting them.

@puzzledpaul said:
    makes me wonder what this scene would've produced from a viewpoint height change?

Good point, Paul. As I have gotten older, I tend to forget about using a lower viewpoint. Squatting isn't the problem, it's standing up again that's getting dicey. In this case, a lower viewpoint might have concealed somewhat the bases of the mannequins, though the support rods would still show.

@pathfinder said:
    I just wish the statue was on the viewer's left side of the door facing center, and the mannequins were on the right looking left also toward the door.

I agree. I did a quick check in Photoshop of switching places and it makes a better composition. But to really pull it off requires a lot of tedious cloning work on the background wall to hide the trickery and then it wouldn't qualify for documentary. Probably not worth the effort for me.

• Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2017

@Richard said:

It was a lucky find.

Was indeed.

Good point, Paul. As I have gotten older, I tend to forget about using a lower viewpoint. Squatting isn't the problem, it's standing up again that's getting dicey. In this case, a lower viewpoint might have concealed somewhat the bases of the mannequins, though the support rods would still show.

Tbh, I'd not even considered the base / support aspect - comment was only related to producing a 'different' feel to the pic.

Getting low is my std approach for waterfowl shots, so it's always in the front (rather than back) of my mind for other stuff (not that I do much other 'stuff' these days). It'll invariably produce a 'different' shot (note am not saying 'better') Was a recent example when shooting* (as a 'bod with cam )at my daughter's friend's wedding reception. Young girl, prob about 2 > 3 yr old being very active on the dance floor - so I used my angle finder + mini BBag, rested cam on the floor (I kneel, btw) and couldn't believe my luck when she decided to stop , flat out on the floor, and looked in my direction - because her parents were behind me - the pros were, at best, crouching for this interlude.

btw, second most frequent comment I get - after 'why are you down there?' ... is 'I'd never get up again if I did that' ... or similar :)

pp

• using a 24/105 f4 :)
  • Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins

Looks like a fun thing to stumble across. Based on your description of the event, sounds like a music video production to me (but that is just a guess). Wouldn't be surprised to see this scene pop up in an upcoming Becky G video soon. That young girl loves filming her videos in Spain.

Steve

Website
  • Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

These are almost weird enough for me.... Seriously, I think they're terrific! I wonder if black and white might make mannequins and humans blend more closely. I'm not sure that would be an improvement, though.

• Options

Thanks, Steve and Don.

@Cygnus Studios said:
    Based on your description of the event, sounds like a music video production to me (but that is just a guess).

Yes, that would make sense. There was a lot of very expensive gear around, so it wasn't starving artists at work.

@Cornflake said:
    I wonder if black and white might make mannequins and humans blend more closely. I'm not sure that would be an improvement, though.

I don't think they blend more closely--the mannequins are brighter than the people--but B&W does have a different feel. Here are a few that I liked better in B&W:

• Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins

When B&W was suggested I didn't think it would work, but it sure does add some pop to the mannequins.

Steve

Website
  • Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

True, they don't blend better.

• Options
    lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins

Great shots! That is an awesome sharp lens you could make pictures with these mannequins for the rest of your life and not get bored.

• Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins

I like 6 the best for the interaction between human and mann. 3 has possibilities, but NSFW... Try cropping 1 so only the left third of the shot is shown.

Fun set!

• Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins

Works both ways... great photos

Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options

Thanks again to all for commenting. Much appreciated.