Options

Musician

RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,925 moderator

Comments

• Options
    stella82stella82 Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins

This is very nice. What kind of effects are you using? Is it sun light or artificial light?

• Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins

Great PP work. It makes the image.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins

I would have liked to see more of the instrument and his hands. The PP work is interesting.

• Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins

The glasses give away time of day...

Nice conversion Richard

Rags
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2017

Thanks, all.

@stella82 said:
    This is very nice. What kind of effects are you using? Is it sun light or artificial light?

It was shot in bright sun light. The conversion was done with Silver Fx Pro II, and mostly involved boosting the blacks outrageously with some vignetting added.

@Juano said:
    I would have liked to see more of the instrument and his hands. The PP work is interesting.

Yeah, me too, but there was a music stand in front of him that got in the way. This was cropped to get rid of the uninteresting bit.

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Richard, processing is nice, but it might be matter of taste, two things bug me. The instrument is cutoff, and there too much space above so not sure about framing.....if expression is the key, then maybe even tighter crop of the face....also the in the background, the elements that have survived, create this strange crown around his head....kind they show in cartoons to depict odor. I am being too harsh....but what I thought.....cheers!

• Options
    edited March 31, 2017

@Stumblebum said:
    Richard, processing is nice, but it might be matter of taste, two things bug me. The instrument is cutoff, and there too much space above so not sure about framing.....if expression is the key, then maybe even tighter crop of the face

Yeah, since I posted it, the space at the top has been bothering me some too. Maybe a 4x3 crop would work better than square. As I mentioned above, I really couldn't help cutting off the sax.

@Stumblebum said
    ....also the in the background, the elements that have survived, create this strange crown around his head....kind they show in cartoons to depict odor. I am being too harsh....but what I thought.....cheers

Odor, eh? Well, I wasn't close enough to notice. :lol: The crown is due to the vignetting and soft contrast, but I rather like the effect. YMMV of course. And I don't think you're being too harsh, Taz. I welcome constructive criticism and only wish there were more of it.

• Options

Having said all that....it is still a sweet image....but had trouble getting over couple of quirks......too spoiled with great images from you.....so expect more. Cheers!

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,810 moderator
    edited April 1, 2017

I also would like to see less black space at the top. It pulls the eye away from the subject.

No problem with the dark vignette around the head. Overall the image has a grungy, gritty feel which goes perfectly with the subject. I think that there's enough of the instrument to make the point about the activity, but this is a head-and-shoulders portrait so it doesn't need any more propping.

Very nice and the kind of image to revisit!

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options

How about this:

None of the standard aspect ratios seemed to work, so I just took some off the top. Not sure why I'm wedded to the standard ratios, come to think of it. I don't print much, and for online viewing it really shouldn't make any difference.

• Options
    edited April 2, 2017

Ratio is perfect Richard! Liking this tremendously!
    As personal note, I used to think that any cropping was bad, but a while back, learned from YOU that image can have much greater impact if cropped differently! Have been benefitting from that since.
    You had said at the time, "Less is more here"!
    I say the same now!
    Cheers!

• Options

You were absolutely right about the crop, Taz. Some very famous photographers including Cartier Bresson refused to crop ever. I suppose if I had his eye, I could do the same, but I need all the help I can get. Whatever works.