Options

Fire in the Sky on Lake Lanier

jkcothronjkcothron Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins

I shoot Lanier a lot, and this sunset is probably one of my favorites from the area. I literally stalked it for 3 or 4 months before I got the skies you see here. I think I made 15-20 trips to this particular tree on Coney Island (water was low) before hitting the jackpot. Hope you enjoy!

John Cothron
Galleries: Smugmug|500px|Flickr

Comments

• Options
    CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,034 Major grins

You're right - you hit the jackpot! Your patience paid off. Sharpness, reflection and linear perspective are all spot on. Wonderful.

• Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins

Persistence = success! You knew this image was there and you were right. Stunning!

"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Came out great!
    I do have a crop and burn suggestion.....
    Take 1/4 inch off from bottom or so...that will open up the bottom left creating more sense of space instead of that rectangle running all the way to the corner.
    Second in the remaining rectangle, that would still be left in bottom left and is separate from main rock....I would burn it so it all appears as one rock......
    JMO.

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2017

doesn't let me delete repeat comment.....POS

• Options
    ritewingerritewinger Registered Users Posts: 243 Major grins

I like it the way it is.....Well shot!

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,186 moderator

Wow! Great shot. The tree silhouette makes the pic.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

Spectacular. Fine work.

• Options

@Cavalier said:
    You're right - you hit the jackpot! Your patience paid off. Sharpness, reflection and linear perspective are all spot on. Wonderful.

@redleash said:
    Persistence = success! You knew this image was there and you were right. Stunning!

@ritewinger said:
    I like it the way it is.....Well shot!

@David_S85 said:
    Wow! Great shot. The tree silhouette makes the pic.

@Cornflake said:
    Spectacular. Fine work.

Thank you! I"m pretty fortunate being that I had just switched to digital not too terribly long before this. At the time I had never heard of ETTR and wasn't real familiar with what happened when a digital body clips a channel. I used the ole tried and true exposure for film and it worked out for me this time.

John Cothron

• Options

@Stumblebum said:
    Came out great!
    I do have a crop and burn suggestion.....
    Take 1/4 inch off from bottom or so...that will open up the bottom left creating more sense of space instead of that rectangle running all the way to the corner.
    Second in the remaining rectangle, that would still be left in bottom left and is separate from main rock....I would burn it so it all appears as one rock......
    JMO.

Thanks! I see where you are going with that, and actually played around with it to see how it hit me. After looking at it for a few minutes I still think I like the original better. Appreciate the thought though!

John Cothron

• Options
    JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins

Awesome capture, and way to be persistent. It's the difference between 'That camera takes great photos' and 'That photographer is effing amazing at their craft.' You're fitting into the latter, in my opinion.

• Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins

Very dramatic. Looks like a highway to somewhere!

• Options

@JonaBeth Russell said:
    Awesome capture, and way to be persistent. It's the difference between 'That camera takes great photos' and 'That photographer is effing amazing at their craft.' You're fitting into the latter, in my opinion.

I'd like to think so, but every time I go back and look at my photography "later" I find all kinds of flaws. Despite thinking at the time that I finally had it down lol. Appreciate the comment!

@Eia said:

Thank you! It was nearly titled Highway to Heaven :)

John Cothron

• Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins

@jkcothron said:

@JonaBeth Russell said:

I'd like to think so, but every time I go back and look at my photography "later" I find all kinds of flaws. Despite thinking at the time that I finally had it down lol. Appreciate the comment!

@Eia said:

Thank you! It was nearly titled Highway to Heaven :)

LOL - Heaven was not quite the place I was going to suggest but that works! ;)