Need to re-enter inherited password

BigRedBigRed Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins

When a number of galleries are set up to inherit a password from a parent folder, visitors formerly only needed to enter that password once in a 24-hour period, no matter where they traveled in the tree. Once you're in, you're in. This was very handy for protected hierarchies used by clients and family members. BUT I just noticed that they are now required to to re-enter the password to enter each and every gallery. Has anyone else noticed this?

http://www.janicebrowne.com - Janice Browne Nature Art & Photography

Comments

• JosiePJosieP Registered Users Posts: 7 Big grins
    Hi Janice,

That shouldn't be the case if the password is just set at the top level folder. If you want to write into us at help@smugmug.com though we can get some specifics on where you are seeing that issue so we can help sort that out.

Thanks,
    Josie
    SmugMug Support Hero

Josie
    SmugMug Support Hero

• BigRedBigRed Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2017

I think I figured this out. Apologies if I missed an update or confused anyone else.

Under a passworded folder, I had believed that child galleries that were set with Access = "People with Password" and the same specific password would behave the same way as "People with Password (Inherited)" -- and not require a visitor to re-enter the password. But that is not the case. Apparently to avoid that re-typing, each gallery must have Access = "People with Password (Inherited)" and no password in its gallery settings. The hitch is that "Inherited" doesn't appear as an option in the Access drop-down if there's already a password set. (I think the affected ones of mine were converted from Legacy.) So I had to blank out any pre-existing password in every child gallery, one by one. After that change was Saved, Access was automatically converted to "inherited." Now my visitors need only enter the password once per session.

http://www.janicebrowne.com - Janice Browne Nature Art & Photography
  • AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins

Thank you so much for coming back with this extra information. :)
    I'm sure a lot of people are going to find this very helpful in the future.

My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • adamjasonphotoadamjasonphoto Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins

This thread helped me figure out my issue as well. I was creating new galleries and not getting "People with Password (Inherited)" as a choice. It's not very intuitive that you need to save with a blank password.