Recent desert shots

CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

Criticism is always welcome.

Big kahuna cactus.

Brittlebush.

Cactus flower.

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator

Nice work, Don. I love the way the clouds in #1 reflect the form of the cactus. #3 is just gorgeous--terrific light.

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator

Very nice Don. I agree with Richard's comments on #1, but for me the real winner of the set is #3.

• roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins

@denisegoldberg said:
    Very nice Don. I agree with Richard's comments on #1, but for me the real winner of the set is #3.

I agree, wholeheartedly!

Phil

I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins

Outstanding set! #1 & #3 are def my two favs of the group.

• CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

Wow. Thank you all!

• jkcothronjkcothron Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited April 10, 2017

1 for me, fantastic shots all!

interesting font choice this thing chose

John Cothron
    Galleries: Smugmug|500px|Flickr

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

1 is great! #3 is nice.....feels tad cramped from comp point of view....cheers Don.

• moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,413 Major grins

Beautiful work, Don!

John, Taz, moose, thanks very much. I agree about the "cramped" look of number 3, Taz. Distracting background elements made it impractical to give it more breathing room.

• EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins

Don - the last one is amazing! I sure am not an expert but I really like your perspective of this bloom. You nailed the detail and the bloom itself is interesting and colorful! I also appreciate the 'bud' on the right to gives us a show of what it looks like before the blossom. I also like your angle on the first. The clouds sweeping over this 'kahuna' is like a crown! I sure do wish it was in color! I like the b/w (assume it is infrared) but with a bit of contrast at least.... or something to give it some depth would give this a punch. This is my opinion of course :)

AnnaMaria, thank you! The first one was in color. The colors weren't much--the light was flat--and BW gave me more latitude for making the sky echo the cactus, so I opted for that. Here's the color version.

• HathingtheHathingthe Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    No criticism at all, your pics are perfect! Personally I love the 3rd one because shooting flowers isn't as easy as it might seem. Good light and good cropping)
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins

I won't pick a fave because I like them all. I love the lighting and color in #3 though I agree it looks a bit cramped. The sunstar and the colors in #2 are lovely--this image seems to be saying "it is Spring!"

"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com