Options

Google analytics on Contact form?

naomimayanaomimaya Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
Hi there,

I have the standard smugmug form and google analytics installed, which seems to track everything just fine, except for the contact page. I assume this is because it's a pop up page, without a URL... but anyone know if there's a way to view the hits? It's really the most useful page for tracking clients!

Thanks in advance for any help!
Naomi

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,913 moderator
    edited April 18, 2017

Hola, Naomi, and welcome to Dgrin I don't think there's much you can do using the standard form. I haven't tried this, but you might be able to see the number of hits on the profile image displayed by the popup using the SmugMug stats. If it works at all, it would only give you a count, so I don't think it would be useful for tracking. Sorry I can't be more helpful, but maybe someone else has a better idea.

EDIT: My customization skills are pretty basic, so I don't know whether this is even possible, but it occurred to me that you might be able create some sort of HTML container page that would only have a link to the standard form. Now this might require an additional click by the user, so it might not be worth it. But the idea is that Google would track the container page, just like any other page. Unless there's a way to automatically open the link, it would not accurately show those people who clicked through to the form. Dunno whether this is worth pursuing.

EDIT 2: I tested the profile image stats idea and unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work.

• Options
    annapannap Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    I agree. Tracking when someone submits their info on the contact form and when they click on the "contact me" button would be IMMENSELY helpful to track conversions. In Google Analytics this is called event tracking, and there needs to be a js code implemented in the site for tracking these things, but perhaps Smugmug can create its own thing to track contact form submissions.