portrait practice

Grin AgainGrin Again Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
edited January 23, 2006 in People
This is my fiance and we are out looking for places to be married when I took this. Whacha think? I am always looking for pointers and advice so that I may advance my photography abilitys. - Grin Again :D
God is good, so smile about it. :D

Comments

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2006
    I think it's a nice shot. Ways that I would improve it would be to shoot with a little less of a wide angle. Wide angles that close up accentuate the nose and distort the face a bit.

I also think it looks a bit green.

She looks happy! WTG!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2006
    Congratulations on the engagement! You have a lovely fiance, you're a lucky man. I like this picture a lot but I do agree with David. You may also consider stepping/zooming back a little to not cut off the top of her head and bottom of her chin. I think cutting the top of her head off is OK in this picture but the chin is a little distracting. I love the light in the shot but maybe try a little fill flash in situations like this to get rid of the shadow cast by her nose because of the angle of the light. None of these things are really that important though, the important thing is your captureing her excitement about planning your wedding. Hopefully we'll get to see some wedding pictures in the future. Good luck!
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2006
    i really like this shot. she has a beautiful, natural smile as well as terrific eyes. you're a lucky guy. i'd be a lot happier with this shot if her chin wasn't cut off and i think she's a little green.
  • Grin AgainGrin Again Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited January 17, 2006
    Portrait
    Here is another of my fiance at the same place. any suggestions i tried to make sure that the color was not so green on this one. -Grin Again :D
    God is good, so smile about it. :D
  • rjpatrjpat Registered Users Posts: 248 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2006
    Good shot, better lighting than the one with the harsh shadows, but you need to watch the background. The bright spots are distracting (IMHO). Very nice job on her face, though.

Ron
    Ron

We never know how something we say, do, or think today, will effect the lives of millions tomorrow....BJ Palmer
  • TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2006
    rjpat wrote:
    Good shot, better lighting than the one with the harsh shadows, but you need to watch the background. The bright spots are distracting (IMHO). Very nice job on her face, though.

Ron

Agreed. thumb.gif
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2006
    That second one is much much better. Good job! Like David said, shoot longer focal length (zoom in and step back) and you'll get more natural proportions.

Cheers,

Erich
  • PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2006
    Hi, Grin Again
    Nice Photo & I like the second photo the best.
    I don't like to chop off part of the head in photos.
    Good Luck with the wedding!

God Bless,
    Chuck
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com