Manawainui Gulch - Maui

JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins

Aloha peeps! Here's another large photomerge from a hike last week on the west side of the island. The image you see consists of 58 individual images, merged together. The final image is 100 megapixels, and at 200 pixels per inch, it'll print clearly around 7ft long.

No tripod was used, all handheld.

Mahalo for viewing!

Comments

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins

Another winning shot. Comp is good. Keep this good stuff coming.

Tom

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Wow! 58 images hand held and still it stitched it.....you need to win a award just for that!
    Comp is indeed nice!
    I am not sure about the out of focus elements that a prominent in immediate foreground on left....
    The blue also seems bit off....
    Enjoyable nonetheless!
    Cheers JBR

• JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins

@Stumblebum said:
    Wow! 58 images hand held and still it stitched it.....you need to win a award just for that!
    Comp is indeed nice!
    I am not sure about the out of focus elements that a prominent in immediate foreground on left....
    The blue also seems bit off....
    Enjoyable nonetheless!
    Cheers JBR

Mahalo for taking the time, Taz! I wasn't so certain about whether the stitching would work when I shot it, but it just felt unnatural to not try. I'm pretty stoked that it actually worked. lol

After the image came out of PS, I too wished the lower left was in focus. For this shot, I tried a new technique, focusing 2/3 into the scene and leaving the focus at that. While it does create amazing depth of field, I feel as though that depth would be retained with the entire scene in focus. For the future, I've learned more about what I want in a landscape merge like this, and also I know that I'll definitely use this single focal point technique for portraits. lol

I did find a couple merge artifact errors in the ocean on the right side, and have since cleaned them up in LR.