Dan's Place - Cades Cove

Matt TilghmanMatt Tilghman Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
edited April 23, 2017 in Landscapes

The Cades Cove loop road in Great Smoky Mountains National Park is well visited, often overcrowded with tourists. Even so, this view felt like it was all my own. My friend and I kept calling this “Dan’s Place”, even though the signage referred to it by its more formal name, Dan Lawson’s cabin. But we couldn’t help be thrust backwards in time when we soaked in this view. While life was undoubtedly hard for these frontier settlers, I imagine there were times too where Dan just sat by his cabin, relaxed, and marveled at the stunning sunset landscape in front of him. Perhaps he also invited friends, and they met at Dan’s Place to soak in the view together.

Dans Place - Cades Cove
Dan's Place - Cades Cove

check out my photos and photoshop blog: www.MattTilghman.com

Comments

• JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins

Beautiful capture, and congrats on finding a spot that isn't overrun with crowds of people. I grew up less than an hour from this place, and spent much of my younger days stompin' around the Smokies.

A little factoid: The GSMNP is the number 1 most visited park in the country, receiving more than 11million visitors per year. It's also one of the only national parks that has zero entry fee.

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Lovely Matt! Words add to the image!
    I do wish there was bit less of bottom fg and bit more of good stuff up top....
    Cheers~

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator

What a peaceful view! Can't argue about the appeal for that area. You've captured it well.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

Very nice, Matt. Good job on capturing such a peaceful scene in an arena that can be pandemonium with hoards of folks stumbling all over the place. If I remember correctly, that loop road is about 11 miles long. The last time I rode it, it took me well over an hour to complete it. Summertime in the Smokies can be, and most often is, an absolute zoo. That's why I usually stick to the Southern Appalachians.

Tom

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins

Lush light and very peaceful to view. I too wish there were more mountain to see considering the name! :) Still very beautiful.