Options

Dash to Reflection Canyon

kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator

Made a quick trip out to Reflection Canyon, in the Glen Canyon Wilderness of Utah. Some statistics:

Trip length: 2.25 days
Miles driven: 1,766
Miles hiked: 18.5
Backpack weight: 54 lbs
Number of keeper images scored: 2
Body weight lost: 0 (how is that possible?)
Bucket-list items checked: 1

Worth every minute! :smiley:

Thanks for looking!
Joel

Comments

• Options
    Matt TilghmanMatt Tilghman Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins

I love #2! Based on your ability to just get-up-and-go so easily, I'd imagine you've been there before.... so I must ask, what was the bucket list item?

check out my photos and photoshop blog: www.MattTilghman.com
  • Options

Thanks, Matt! No, this was my first time there and it's held a prominent spot on my bucket list since I first started seeing pictures from there. A friend and I had this trip planned for a while.

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Hey K-dog, these are breathtaking! Pure joy! Magic with whatever light you got! Bravo!

May not be needed......but the blue part in first in the water....the bright part.....maybe can be pulled back a tad....

Cheers!

• Options
    JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins

Oustanding captures, K-dog!!! What a great adventure in which you indulged, I'm so glad to hear it. Love these stories that go along with such magnificent photos.

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,237 moderator

Very nice! While you say you didn't have many keepers I would bet you have some pretty wonderful memories of the land around you.

• Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

Beautiful place, beautiful work!

• Options

@Stumblebum said:
    Hey K-dog, these are breathtaking! Pure joy! Magic with whatever light you got! Bravo!

May not be needed......but the blue part in first in the water....the bright part.....maybe can be pulled back a tad....

Cheers!

Thanks, Taz! I think you're right. I tried a variant with those highlights toned down and that may be the way to go.

• Options

@denisegoldberg said:
    Very nice! While you say you didn't have many keepers I would bet you have some pretty wonderful memories of the land around you.

Thanks, Denise. Yes, absolutely. The pictures were just the icing on the cake of just getting to and being in such an incredible place.

• Options

@Cornflake said:
    Beautiful place, beautiful work!

Thanks very much, Don. That's high praise coming from you.

• Options

@JonaBeth Russell said:
    Oustanding captures, K-dog!!! What a great adventure in which you indulged, I'm so glad to hear it. Love these stories that go along with such magnificent photos.

Thanks so much, JB. It was a realy "pinch me" moment just being in a place like this.

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,185 moderator
    edited April 25, 2017

Joel, I think I just added one more place to my list as you checked one off yours. The first two shots are magical, but especially the second. 54 pounds? Did you actually weigh it?

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options

@David_S85 said:

Joel, I think I just added one more place to my list as you checked one off yours. The first two shots are magical, but especially the second. 54 pounds? Did you actually weigh it?

Right? That's how it got on my list. Yep, I weighed it with a luggage scale I own and also have an item-by-item weight list if you really want to drill down.

• Options
    TMcEwenTMcEwen Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins

Love #2. Great trip.

- Thomas McEwen - (Nashville, TN)
    http://www.tmcewenphotography.com/
  • Options
    Celtic SnapperCeltic Snapper Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins

Wow! these are amazing. If I were to nitpic, I'd say some of the layers seem to merge together because their patterns and colours are soo similar. The only way to get different illumination and depth, was if you had a few clouds to dapple the light. So for example a bright and saturated foreground, a shaded mid ground due to cloud, then a bright and saturated background. Ofcourse, there doesn't seem to be a cloud in the sky, so you've captured the best you could with the conditions you experienced. Only a small point. Like I said great images of a spectacular landscape!
    Super effort with the kit btw!

• Options
    CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,034 Major grins

All are amazing, but #2 is spectacular. Great job - and now I want to take the same trip!

• Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins

Both shots are great, but I really like number one.

Steve

Website
  • Options
    roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2017

Beautiful images! Well worth the trek, I'm sure.

I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • Options

@TMcEwen said:
    Love #2. Great trip.

Thanks, Tim! Yes it was.

• Options

@Celtic Snapper said:
    Wow! these are amazing. If I were to nitpic, I'd say some of the layers seem to merge together because their patterns and colours are soo similar. The only way to get different illumination and depth, was if you had a few clouds to dapple the light. So for example a bright and saturated foreground, a shaded mid ground due to cloud, then a bright and saturated background. Ofcourse, there doesn't seem to be a cloud in the sky, so you've captured the best you could with the conditions you experienced. Only a small point. Like I said great images of a spectacular landscape!
    Super effort with the kit btw!

Thanks! Believe me, I wasn't happy with the clear skies and I hope to make it back in better conditions some day.

• Options

@Cavalier said:
    All are amazing, but #2 is spectacular. Great job - and now I want to take the same trip!

Thanks, Jo! You should go!

• Options

@Cygnus Studios said:
    Both shots are great, but I really like number one.

Thanks, Steve. That first one is the classic view of the place that's been done by many, but still a sweet composition and I'm very glad to have it. The second comp is more original, so I like that one as well. :)

• Options

@roaddog52 said:
    Beautiful images! Well worth the trek, I'm sure.

Thanks! Well worth the effort indeed!

• Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins

Really good stuff, Joel. I'm not sure I could have survived the arduous ordeal you endured to get these shots but they sure paid off for you.

Take care,

Tom

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins

Beautiful -- especially the second. This reminds me of a place in AZ! ;)

• Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,417 Major grins

Stunning photos, Joel!

• Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins

In awe...!

• Options

@black mamba said:
    Really good stuff, Joel. I'm not sure I could have survived the arduous ordeal you endured to get these shots but they sure paid off for you.

Take care,

Tom

Thanks, Tom. It was a schlep of major proportions for sure.

• Options

@Eia said:
    Beautiful -- especially the second. This reminds me of a place in AZ! ;)

Thanks, AnnaMaria! This is almost in AZ, what place were you thinking of?

• Options

@moose135 said:
    Stunning photos, Joel!

Thanks, Moose!!

• Options

@Juano said:
    In awe...!

Thank you, Cristobal!