Options

Hide (link unlisted) one photo in gallery, but have link still work?

FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins

I think the answer to this is just "you can't" but in case someone has a technique.

I have a gallery which contains a photo, let's call it version A.

I want to edit that photo and "replace" it in the gallery, let's call this version B.

However, in some forum on the internet I had a link to A, and now I want a separate link to B and I want both A and B to work. In this particular case, the forum was a place offering critique, I revised the photo and want to display the new one on the Smugmug gallery and make the old go away, but I want both old and new links to work. That other forum won't let me edit the original posting.

If I had A in the gallery the link no longer works (I'm not sure that is right, shouldn't it work like unlisted not private?).

If I replace A with B entirely, there is a separate URL for both, but the URL for A redirects to B.

Now if I had been smart I would have put a copy in a separate, unlisted gallery, and all would be well -- as many copies as I need, use links to that gallery, and the display gallery has separate links. yes, I know how to do this right if I started right.

But is there any way to do it NOW? Effectively hide the image in the gallery, but have its link still work?

Comments

• Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins

Typically the IMG links that you get have a "version" number in them. The original upload (A) will have version /0/, while the replaced version (B) will have an incrementing number (/1/, /2/ ... etc).

Example: https://photos.smugmug.com/Nature/Bird-Rookery-Swamp/i-7Cp94S4/1/bff3fd11/S/Bird%20Rookery%20Swamp%20-%2020111130%20-%20012-S.jpg in this case, it's been replaced once, because there's a /1/ after i-7Cp94S4.

The original photo with /0/ will exist for some time (due to CDN caching), after which we'll automatically redirect the old link to the new one. If you tried replacing the /1/ with /0/, you'll notice we load the one with /1/

dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • Options

Right, thanks @Leftquark, I new about that process, and it is that redirect that keeps this from working really.

In the Smugmug gallery I want only the last one displayed.

But... On forums where I posted a before and after shot, I want both.

It seems that anything I do to prevent it from appearing in the gallery, prevents the old link from working as well.

And as you mention, actually replacing the image on smugmug, keeps the old link from referring to the old image (eventually).

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins

If the edited version, version 2, is a different filename you can "hide" version 1. Only you, log in, will see it.
    Or you can allow duplicates on upload and "hide" version 1.

Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options

@Allen said:

If the edited version, version 2, is a different filename you can "hide" version 1. Only you, log in, will see it.
    Or you can allow duplicates on upload and "hide" version 1.

But if hidden the link no longer works. That was my first idea, I thought I had it solved, that the link with the image ID would still find it (kind of like unlisted) but... broken link.