Options

Next debate - copying other photographers

Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins

Today I was one of the speakers for a business seminar at the university and at the end of the discussion some of the students who were in interested in photography asked me about copying others and whether or not that is okay.

I thought that this would make for an interesting conversation here on the forum.

While I don't like the idea of copying another shot, in the commercial world I don't always get a say in the matter. When clients build their mood boards, they are borrowing ideas from all sorts of other ad campaigns. We live in a monkey see, monkey do world.

Today just about all clients use a private pinterest board to share these ideas. There are bits and pieces of other images that they want replicated or maybe colors or lighting and just about anything else you can think of. Nothing is wholly original.

Some clients may allow you to rub your own stank on it or maybe offer some possible ideas, but in the end, the client is going to get what the client wants. You either do as your told or they hire someone else.

When first learning photography, copying is an invaluable tool. Deconstructing how an image was done is a learning experience in and of itself.

Of course once you learn these techniques, you should do your best to create your own images instead of always copying others.

There is that thought, I can do this better and that to me is okay also.

There is also the debate on whether anyone today can do something totally original.

Has it all been done before? Are we all simply copying parts of those who came before us, maybe without even realizing it?

Steve

Website

Comments

• Options
    pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,777 Major grins

What's a copy and what is "inspired by"?

If you copy straight up you commit copyright infringement
    If you're inspired by someone else but it looks mainly the same you might get away from copyright infringement with "fair use", however that also limits your options to use (sell) the picture commercially.

On the other hand, especially among amateurs, I think "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"

And yes, virtually everything has been done, but not exactly the same: different light, standpoint, crop, exposure, depth of field etc. etc., and most importantly by someone else as yourself ;)

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins

@pegelli said:
    If you copy straight up you commit copyright infringement

That fight is getting harder and more expensive every year. The courts are not nearly narrow enough in their decisions, but that's another topic for another day.

@pegelli said:
    On the other hand, especially among amateurs, I think "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"

Now that is a great attitude to have. I would take it as a compliment if portions of my work inspired others.

Steve

Website
  • Options
    FujijitsuFujijitsu Registered Users Posts: 8 Big grins
    I try to reproduce a style I like to learn new techniques. It's inspiration and a personal challenge.

I'm a pure amateur, so don't see any harm in this?