Tight squeeze

RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator

Ya gotta love the Smart:

Comments

• Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins

I would love to see them get it out. I suspect that two people just pick it up and place it on the street.

Steve

Website
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator

Maybe that's how they parked it in the first place. :wink:

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited May 13, 2017

Amazing.
    I'd love to know if this was a driving-in parking exercise - or if it was moved by people power, how many people were needed? Hmm...

• JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

I think the huge pot was put in place after they parked the car! good luck getting it out... ;)

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator

"You can tell it's Mattel, it's swell"

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Oh wow.....he must have picked it up and placed it there!

edited May 15, 2017

They weigh over 700 kg, so I doubt that two people capable of lifting it would fit inside :wink: . And the planter behind it could easily weigh even more. When I was a kid, someone in the neighborhood had an Isetta, a three-wheeled, one cylinder Italian toy car. I have a vague memory of a bunch of friends dragging it to a different parking space just for laughs. Apparently, Isetta owners were used to that.

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Can't imagine how else he got in there....crazy

• toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins

An expression of fantastic parking skills...

I'm showing this to my bride to show what's possible... :D

Rags

@torags said:

I'm showing this to my bride to show what's possible... :D

Well, yeah, but don't try this with your BMW SUV. I think Rags probably has the right explanation. There is hardly any distance from the front wheel to the tip of the bumper, so a skilled driver could conceivably manage it. If it were a brand new model, I might have suspected a setup for an ad shoot, but it's an old one and there was no sign of pros at work. It wouldn't make a bad ad shot, come to think of it...

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited May 16, 2017

If I had to guess I suggest that if this is as tight a spot as it looks, even the Smart ForTwo with its turning radius of around 23 feet (apparently some sort of record) would have extreme difficulty making this work.

It's more likely that the car was parked close to the location, but parallel to the final resting spot. A set of flat tracks could be set below the car (see the brick roadway in Richard's image) and then a skid mover/pallet truck could be used to lift and place the car straight back. (Might also require a custom set of blocks to mate the undercarriage of the car.) Remove the skid mover/pallet truck and tracks and the car is physically locked in place.

Roughneck Extra-Long Pallet Truck — 4,400-Lb. Capacity

Alternately a fork truck with fork extensions wouldn't necessarily need tracks.

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • TasmanianTasmanian Registered Users Posts: 486 Major grins

Ha Ha !

Nice shot :D

• puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins

@torags said:

I'd tend to agree ... maybe backed up by a couple of 'clues'?

1. the fact that the object at the rear is cylindrical ... rather than cuboid.
    2. That this 'parking slot appears to be just set back a little from some sort of 'roadway' ... the sliver of end of wall /partition in lower RHS corner + state of 'roadway outboard of the car, compared with ditto under car.

So, maybe it's just an example of standard reverse parallel parting in a (very) tight space.
    Car's reversed in along a line that's an extended diameter of cylinder, with LHS of car just missing wall end, then, when rear bumper is essentially forming a tangent (in plan view with cylinder) ... it's a case of extreme RH down?

pp

• willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2017

When I was in boarding school, we carried a master's VW Beetle into the auditorium and onto the stage.

Took 5 or 6 people, but motivation was strong. B)

My guess is people power.

It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata