Planning an exhibition
I am going to have my first ever photo exhibition next year
The location is going to be in the village in Germany where I grew up – abroad from where I live now.
But I am wondering if anyone else here has some insight in terms of planning and execution.
What I have so far:
- there will be 25-35 photos of mine in the exhibition
- size 20x30cm
- I want to provide a guestbook (I will only be at the exhibition for two of the four weekends, the other weekends my parents will be so kind to help out)
- photo prints
- 10% of sales are going to the cultural asset (which in my opinion is more than fair)
I know I need some sort of press-map but I have no clue of what to provide
- I do want to have some information about every photo that is presented in the exhibition for visitors to take home (an exhibition catalog would be super cool, but far beyond what I can pay for), every photo should have some short information attached to it
- business cards will be available of course
- selling: prints (to pick up after the exhibition ends) and postcards
- someone is going to give an introduction speech (not me) and somehow I suppose I will have to say a few words too
- I am going to arrive there a few days ahead to put it all up and the framing and printing should be done (mostly) by Christmas
- Announcement in the press will be done by the cultural asset
- I am thinking about setting up an Event on FB for this and of course announcing it on my website and blog (and no, unfortunately with my smugmug plan I don't have access to the events module, though that would be nice)
- costs: I am expecting something around 1000€
- sponsorship: well I doubt they would start sponsoring someone from abroad...so I am planning to cover the costs myself, hoping that some of it can be made up for by selling prints.
Theme: Landscapes from three continents (title is likely to change)
So if some of you have had the experience of having a solo photo exhibition, can you tell me what traps I should avoid and maybe what else to include in my plans?
http://blog.lilleulven.com - The Stories of my travels