Morning Canopy

jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins

-Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.

Comments

• TasmanianTasmanian Registered Users Posts: 486 Major grins

Good sprin shot with tender green :)

Personally, I would have removed the small red flag.

• jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins

@Tasmanian said:
    Good sprin shot with tender green :)

Personally, I would have removed the small red flag.

Yeah that would be easy and normally the right call. However this shot was taken for a local conservation society who maintains this property and these trails, and that is one of their trail blazes.

-Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • TasmanianTasmanian Registered Users Posts: 486 Major grins

:) I understand !

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator

This is mesmerizing, I like it. Awesome sun star. Tones seem a bit compressed, maybe a slight boost in contrast might make it pop more.

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,908 moderator
    edited May 30, 2017

IMO, this looks over-processed. I don't know if you did it this way, but it looks like heavy HDR compression, heavy enough that it makes me wonder whether the perfect sun star was also an add-on. Sorry to sound like such a grouch--I'm not a landscape photographer so perhaps I've got this all wrong. I do like the shot; I just would like to see a more natural rendering.

• JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins

Lovely capture!

• jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins

Thanks folks. I like how this looks. It reminds me of what I see when I walk this trail in the morning. These are spring leaves, so they are especially chartreuse. I think it would be impossible to take this picture and not process it significantly in order to get any kind of pleasing result. Certainly in film days I would have no way of doing that without a color darkroom and lots of time on my hands. So I'm not sure what standard you're holding this to, Richard, but to each his own. Settings were f/16, 16mm, so the sun star is what it is, and what I was hoping for.

-Jack

• puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins

Tend to agree with Richard and kdog re processing. I'm no landscaper, but I've certainly taken a fair number of backlit duckpix - and combination of sun's position / strength and type of shadow detail on tree trunk rear faces also makes me wonder about extent of post tweaking.
    (Incidentally I use exactly this sort of (backlit) scenario to obscure unwanted bg features / detail)
    Not as bad / excessive as that sometimes seen on landscape pics where under bridge shadows have been taken (more than) one tweak too far though.
    I'd also consider slicing a tad off the bottom - which'd still leave enough of the trail for job remit - about halfway between current base and LH foreground tree's trunk intersection with ground.

pp