Some mighty ducks

MuskyDudeMuskyDude Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
edited January 20, 2006 in Sports
*Sometimes living in a cold climate has advantages. The Mighty Ducks of Anaheim held a scrimmage on the Rideau Canal at lunch today, thought it would be good practice to take some action shots.

The Ducks take to the Rideau Canal in Ottawa:

52822170-L.jpg

Captain Teemu Selanne wonders what the heck he's doing out in -12c:

52822154-L-1.jpg

Corey Perry waits on the doorstep as G.S Giguere anticipates the play:

52823333-L.jpg

J.S. Giguere makes a "Roger Federer" like save:

52822165-L.jpg

And at the other end, some big dude doesn't have as much luck with the save:

52822180-L.jpg

All in all it was fun to get outside for some shooting, and practice. All photos D70 + Tamron 70-300

AJ

Comments

• CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2006
    Looks awful cold to me - but great shots.
    Boy I'm glad basketball is indoors :) and the local outdoor sports are normally when it's warmer.
    Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!
  • AJatWorkAJatWork Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited January 18, 2006
    Cindy wrote:
    Looks awful cold to me - but great shots.
    Boy I'm glad basketball is indoors :) and the local outdoor sports are normally when it's warmer.

It was cold, but worth it. I think usually you have to be a member of the press to get close like I did, so I consider myself pretty lucky. Thanks.

More here: http://www.northlight.smugmug.com/gallery/1134148

AJ
    The more I know, the less I understand.
  • CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2006
    AJatWork wrote:
    It was cold, but worth it. I think usually you have to be a member of the press to get close like I did, so I consider myself pretty lucky. Thanks.

More here: http://www.northlight.smugmug.com/gallery/1134148

AJ

I agree - great shots!
    With my flash bracket on the D70 and my 70-200 VR no one ever questions whether or not I'm with the press, they just wave me by & often tell me the best area's to shoot from. I'm a mere 5'2" little thing but with this combo people spread like the red sea. Laughing.gif!

Happy Shooting,
    Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!
  • Lee MasseyLee Massey Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2006
    Nice work AJ! The canal and NHL hockey? You have to love it! thumb.gif

Teemu does not look impressed. He need to toughen up! rolleyes1.gif

How did this event come to fruition?

Lee
    MuskyDude wrote:
    *Sometimes living in a cold climate has advantages. The Mighty Ducks of Anaheim held a scrimmage on the Rideau Canal at lunch today, thought it would be good practice to take some action shots.
    AJ
    edited January 18, 2006
    Lee Massey wrote:
    Nice work AJ! The canal and NHL hockey? You have to love it! thumb.gif

Teemu does not look impressed. He need to toughen up! rolleyes1.gif

How did this event come to fruition?

Lee

Thanks Lee! Here's a link to one of the local newspapers about the story: http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/sports/story.html?id=80d492c7-c8db-40ff-821e-1240b447887a&k=37091 and a snippet:

""The Ducks, who play the Ottawa Senators at Scotiabank Place tomorrow, had an extra day to kill in Ottawa and Carlyle had been planning the workout on the Canal for two months.

The Ducks are the first visiting team to have practised on the world's longest outdoor skating rink.

"It's always important for us people, who are around the game, to appreciate the grassroots nature of the game and for us, this is totally about team building," said Carlyle, a Sudbury native who played exclusively on outdoor rinks until his teens. "Being in the capital city of Canada, with the Parliament buildings in the background, it's special for a guy like me.""

What makes the story kind of weird is that it's pouring rain today, and the canal is closed. Mother nature the sports fan? :D

AJ
    edited January 18, 2006
    AJatWork wrote:
    Thanks Lee! Here's a link to one of the local newspapers about the story: http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/sports/story.html?id=80d492c7-c8db-40ff-821e-1240b447887a&k=37091 and a snippet:

Interesting read... Thanks for the link. You have to love the atmosphere in the winter with the canal and the ice scupltures (when it is not raining). I worked in Ottawa for a few years and used to love going for a skate on the canal and walking downtown amongst all the interesting buildings.

I saw the Ducks play in Toronto earlier this year and watching Scott Neidermeyer play was a treat. Man can that guy skate... I liked this quote:

"I'm surprised," said Ducks defenceman Scott Niedermayer, the defending Norris Trophy winner as NHL defenceman of the year. "I thought it would be just us out here ... but I underestimated Canadians a bit, I guess."

Ummmm... He should have known better! :lol

Lee
    edited January 18, 2006
    Lee Massey wrote:

"I'm surprised," said Ducks defenceman Scott Niedermayer, the defending Norris Trophy winner as NHL defenceman of the year. "I thought it would be just us out here ... but I underestimated Canadians a bit, I guess."

Ummmm... He should have known better! :lol

Lee

:D We are a hearty buch (or insane, depending on who you ask).

AJ
  • wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2006
    That is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay cool!!!!
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited January 18, 2006
    We miss Teemu :cry

Some nice shots too. Glad to see teams starting to give back to the fans...

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited January 19, 2006
    winger wrote:
    That is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay cool!!!!

Thanks Winger!

AJ
    edited January 19, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    We miss Teemu :cry

Some nice shots too. Glad to see teams starting to give back to the fans...

Ian

I'd be saying the same thing Ian, guys a phenominal hockey player. And thanks.

AJ
  • wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2006
    Ok I clearly need to go on a road trip with my skates for some Canal Shiny!!!!!!
    edited January 20, 2006
    It definately looks like the skate on the canal paid off...

The Ottawa Senators managed to bring it all the way to a shootout last night, but that was as far as they could go. The Ducks of Anaheim were too mighty.

Taken from:

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/sports/story.html?id=3b5a5ef8-a145-41a5-a7e6-3fe9b061f912&k=49751

Maybe skating on the canal before the NHL game will be a new tradition?

Lee