Options

Topaz ReMask 5 help and info needed

Spinner of TalesSpinner of Tales Registered Users Posts: 528 Major grins

Ok, here's the deal. I bought the download on line version of Topaz ReMask 5 last year from Topaz. There was no disk sent from them it had to be downloaded via their web site.
My concern and question is if my system crashes it's gone. Is there any way for me to download the program from my computer to a disk so I will have it?
Thanks for any help it will be greatly appreciated.

Bumper

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,913 moderator
    edited May 25, 2017

Probably not easily. But if you bought it from Topaz and have the license key, I would expect them to make it easy to reload it after a crash or migration. I'd contact their customer support to make sure you know their policy.

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited May 26, 2017

If you have a license key all you need is to download the file from their site and it will install and ask you for your license key. Type in your license key and your are good to go. I delete the download files after installation as they just clutter up my computer.

If your software version is five years old you might have to purchase an upgrade to the latest version, but you probably want to do that anyway since they continue to upgrade their software to match operating system upgrades as they occur. Topaz has always been very customer friendly in my limited experience with them, as I have used their software ever since it was introduced.

I do wonder why your Topaz files will be gone if your system crashes?? - that suggests to me you do not have a current up to date set of system back up files complete with all your installed applications. Is this true? For your sake I hope not, but why are you concerned with losing your Topaz Application file if it is not true?

If you have a compete and current back up file on an alternate hard drive you should be able to reboot your system from the back up drive and continue working. I use SuperDuper from Shirt Pocket Software ( http://www.shirt-pocket.com ) and it works just like that. Not only does it create back ups - I KNOW they work - as I have used them many different times for system recovery. I am sure there is a similar software in the Windows world. Richard can probably suggest several.

The last system upgrade I did on my older desktop converted my lovely 8 year old Mac Pro to a desk ornament - I simply rebooted from my back up drive and was restored to where I was before the lovely system upgrade from Apple. A few months later I tried again, and this time the OS upgrade was successful and I continue to use it to this day. Having a reliable complete bootable back up helps me sleep well at night. And that I don't have to worry about losing an application file somewhere along the way or reinstalling it.

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    Spinner of TalesSpinner of Tales Registered Users Posts: 528 Major grins

Its taken care of and thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.

Spinner