Options

Hana Town - Aerial View

JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins

Here's a photomerge of about 20 or so images from my Phantom 4. Hana is the most isolated town on the island of Maui, likely settled around 600-800 A.D. by Polynesian settlers. This sleepy little town is rich with culture and history, nestled deep within the coastal rainforest on the windward side of Haleakala (the 10,000ft volcano in the background).

Conditions were pretty windy, around 15-20mph, with gusts a little higher.

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Awesome pano JBR!

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Many Grins

Great capture. To me it does not look like an ordinary town - more like a fancy tourist village.

• Options
    james18james18 Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins

Its just an awesome capture and thank you for letting us know about the Hana Town as well!

PathEdits.com - Product Photo Editing

• Options
    JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2017

@Jørgen_Bjerring said:
    Great capture. To me it does not look like an ordinary town - more like a fancy tourist village.

I can see how one would deduce that from this image. The reality, however, is that it's a very small little town. While many tourists drive here daily to see it, the town itself is quite rustic. There's a single general store, a ranch grocery store, and maybe 3 restaurants, one of which is a food truck. It receives no ship traffic, as the old pier is in disrepair, and scheduled for tear down with no plan to replace it.

There is one super high end resort there, named Travasa. It attracts the elite vacationer, who does not want the tourist town feel. They don't put televisions in the rooms because they want to encourage people to leave their rooms and explore. I priced a couples massage.... $750 for 2hrs each...wow!!

The people of Hana are lovey, but they certainly don't take kindly to the idea of tourism so much. Sure, they turn a little profit from the tourists that drive through, but they'd just as soon close the road and live happily undisturbed.

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Many Grins

@JonaBeth Russell said:

@Jørgen_Bjerring said:

I can see how one would deduce that from this image. The reality, however, is that it's a very small little town. While many tourists drive here daily to see it, the town itself is quite rustic. There's a single general store, a ranch grocery store, and maybe 3 restaurants, one of which is a food truck. It receives no ship traffic, as the old pier is in disrepair, and scheduled for tear down with no plan to replace it.

There is one super high end resort there, named Travasa. It attracts the elite vacationer, who does not want the tourist town feel. They don't put televisions in the rooms because they want to encourage people to leave their rooms and explore. I priced a couples massage.... $750 for 2hrs each...wow!!

The people of Hana are lovey, but they certainly don't take kindly to the idea of tourism so much. Sure, they turn a little profit from the tourists that drive through, but they'd just as soon close the road and live happily undisturbed.

Sounds like a great place and that of course is the reason for the elite vacationer to be there :)