image sizes

Gary GlassGary Glass Registered Users Posts: 744 Major grins
edited February 26, 2007 in SmugMug Support
All of my public galleries are in journal format. All the photos in the galleries link to the large format photo page. But on the photo page the selected value in the dropdown under the photo is whatever it was the last time I changed it on any photo page. Why doesn't the selected value match the photo size? Why doesn't the photo size match the dropdown selected value?

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2006
    Gary Glass wrote:
    All of my public galleries are in journal format. All the photos in the galleries link to the large format photo page. But on the photo page the selected value in the dropdown under the photo is whatever it was the last time I changed it on any photo page. Why doesn't the selected value match the photo size? Why doesn't the photo size match the dropdown selected value?

The "preferred" photo size is cookied. Jfriend pointed out some inconsistencies over in the features thread.. we're actually working on these, no promises on if or when but stay tuned.

On your skyride gallery, when I go to single image view, and click through, small, medium, large, the photos behave as I expect them to...
  • Gary GlassGary Glass Registered Users Posts: 744 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    The "preferred" photo size is cookied.

Not sure I understand what you're getting at here. What sets the cookie? The photos ALWAYS open large for me. What is especially annoying about this behavior is that the dropdown's selectedValue will be the value that I was last viewing, so in order to get the photo to actually display at that size, I first have to change the dropdown to some other value, then change it back again to the value it was already at. (I assume because there is an change event that isn't getting fired until the selectedValue is actually modified.)
    edited February 25, 2007
    still no joy
    This bug persists. No matter what I set my preferred size to, the single photo pages always open large. If you look at the links in the gallery, they always point to the Large image.
    edited February 25, 2007
    Gary Glass wrote:
    This bug persists. No matter what I set my preferred size to, the single photo pages always open large. If you look at the links in the gallery, they always point to the Large image.
    Ah I see now.
    I don't recall, did Joural on the page shots when clicked go to Mediums in the past?

I'll ask {JT} about it...
    edited February 25, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Ah I see now.
    I don't recall, did Joural on the page shots when clicked go to Mediums in the past?

I'll ask {JT} about it...
    JT says that from Journal, they've always gone to size Large ne_nau.gif
    edited February 26, 2007
    Thanks for checking, Andy. Are we calling this a bug then? After all, one would expect that setting preferred size should have an effect.
    edited February 26, 2007
    Gary Glass wrote:
    Thanks for checking, Andy. Are we calling this a bug then? After all, one would expect that setting preferred size should have an effect.
    No, it's the way it was designed from Journal.

Other styles take your preferred cookie size.
    For example, if you set preferred size while in single image view, here:

http://cmac.smugmug.com/gallery/2504932/1/131591128/Small
    (that's bigwebguy, btw) - set your preferred size to "medium" THEN click the link to the gallery, set the style to Traditional, and click on a thumb- you'll get a Medium image.
    edited February 26, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    No, it's the way it was designed from Journal.

Other styles take your preferred cookie size.

OK, it may have been designed that way, but it makes no sense to me.