Options

Mike...HTML / CSS Assistance

Visual VoodooVisual Voodoo Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins

Hi Mike,

Your the guy to talk to, so I thought I would ask you if you could help me with the following:

1) On my ABOUT page, I understand how to change the font family, but I was unable to change my name into a signature or cursive font. The backup idea is to create this in Photoshop but there must be something I'm missing in the coding (http://www.thephotoguru.com/ABOUT). When I do it, underlines are on all the links all the time.

2) On my links within the text body, I understand how to add a text decoration. The problem is there is a line all the time when I do it. I just want an underline to appear when you hover over the text so that the links stand out.

3) Any ideas for a decorative frame around a photo and add text to the bottom. Maybe something like I have here (https://www.portraitguru.com/about/).

4) In the NAVIGATION, I would like to show the color orange when I hover over the navigation item in the header. Even more important to me, I would like the page your actually on to show orange. At least 3 levels deep.

Thanks in advance!

David

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins

You have your fonts embedded in the html. I use to do this but it would be better to use class names to define the text. That way you can tweak in the CSS and adjust all the text inside the ABOUT text. The same class name can be applied to many parts so CSS can get them all in one rule.

David Aronson
    >Hello. My name is David Aronson. I am a ...

.myFont1 {
    font-family: font-family: 'Oswald';
    color: red;
    etc ...
    }
    .myFont2 {font-family: 'Lato' ....; color: green; ...}

Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    Visual VoodooVisual Voodoo Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins

Hi Allen. Thank you for responding. I'm more of a beginner when it comes to coding so trying to follow you makes me feel a little dim witted. Ha.

Can you please explain this in a little more detail please?

Thanks Allen.

• Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,450 Major grins

@Visual Voodoo said:
    Hi Allen. Thank you for responding. I'm more of a beginner when it comes to coding so trying to follow you makes me feel a little dim witted. Ha.

Can you please explain this in a little more detail please?

Thanks Allen.

Sorry, I was away. B)

What you have right now is <span style="font-family: 'tangerine'">David Aronson</span>. Obviously it works but it's better to use a class instead. As it is right now if you have other sections that uses that font, you'll have to edit each section one by one. By creating a class, you can edit that class, only one time. As an example:

Put this in your HTML

<span class="my-font-1">David Aronson</span>
    5079 N DIXIE HWY. SUITE 139
    FORT LAUDERDALE, FL 33334

E-MAIL: Info@PortraitGuru.Com (quickest)
    PHONE: (954) 543-0123 (may take longer)

Put this in your CSS

.my-font-1 {
        font-family: Tangerine, sans-serif;
        color: green;
        font-weight: 700;
        }

Any time you use that class .my-font-1 in any page, it shows that font, color and bold/weight. So if you have 10 pages that uses that font (or what ever) you can simply change the CSS once and all 10 instances/pages will change.

Make sense?