Where's Dr. Who?

RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
edited June 19, 2017 in Other Cool Shots

Comments

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

Interesting shot. If I were you, I'd zap that pole and power lines before Taz catches it.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

OMG....I was going to say.....pole and powerlines are interrupting my search for Dr. Who!
    Cheers Richards and Tom!

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited June 20, 2017

I was aware of the lines when shooting, and took another shot to avoid them:

I'll wait for comment before I explain why I chose the first.

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator

Good catch, Richard. Also a good candidate for the color swapping tool red to blue.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky

OK. ok...so I forgot it was blue.

Happy now? :wink:

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator

Yes!

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins

I like the first composition better.

Steve

Website
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator

@Cygnus Studios said:
    I like the first composition better.

I do too!

• willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2017

I prefer no 1 as well, Richard.

Taking a reality check, in modern landscapes with tardii ( is that the plural of tardis?) there are going to be power lines.

It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator

I agree with Willard. The lines are important! Otherwise the booth would stand out like a sore thumb and Dr. Who wouldn't like that! The first one gets my vote for best image.

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

@willard3 said:
    I prefer no 1 as well, Richard.

Taking a reality check, in modern landscapes with tardii ( is that the plural of tardis?) there are going to be power lines.

1 for me too. I like the enhanced feeling of isolation it portrays. True enough about the power lines. But I zap them if I can.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Thanks for the great feedback everyone. I really appreciate it, but I'm afraid we're not done yet.

OK, so it's pretty clear that the composition of the original is better than the second that I posted, even though the second didn't have the "distracting" power lines. The second also had a house visible in the distance, which worked against what I was trying to portray. So the question comes down to whether to clone the lines/pole out in the first. Just to see, I did a rough cut--a final version would require more cleanup, but this is close enough for discussion purposes.

This is a tough call for me. I like them both but for different reasons. I'm curious to hear your impressions.

• Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins

I like it without the pole and lines. There is something about connection of the road with this particular composition that just makes it work for my taste.

Steve

Website
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator

I still prefer the first image. It feels more real to me with the power lines.

Yes, yes, yes....last one is big winner. Too bad now we only have choice of 9 emoticons......this one deserves big clap!

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator

The first (original) image is a great demonstration of an unaltered use of power lines in a photo. The power lines do act as a bounding element. If you're going to have power lines in an image, that's the right way to do it.

However, I do prefer the version without the lines and pole in that they don't contribute as much as they distract. The version with those elements removed is a much stronger story of the major theme.

It's a great find and very well captured!

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

Art and "real" sometimes don't go together.......

I respect that kind of purism.......but it hurts quality of images.....if idea is to get more people feel the impact.....distractions must be eliminated.

• toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins

+1 on the last one... but don't mind the lines in the first (after all it is "street")

The sweeping road to this comp is neat..

Rags

OK, here's my conclusion:

As Ziggy mentioned, the pole and wires help frame the phone box, which was intentional. On the other hand, if they hadn't been there in the first place, would I have felt tempted to composite a post and wires into the scene? Hell no.

The original has a dreary, edge of civilization feeling. Even the power lines end there. The image (to me) is more striking without them, but the feeling I get is different--more surreal or enigmatic. The wires make it look like the phone box has (or had) a reason for being there--without them, it could have just as easily materialized from another dimension.

I don't think one necessarily has to choose between truth and art, but you should make it clear to the viewer what you're up to. I'm going to keep both--the original will go in one of my travel galleries while the last will go in my surreal/unreal gallery.

Thanks again for all the comments. They have helped me clarify my own ideas a bit.

• puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins

@Richard said:

The original has a dreary, edge of civilization feeling. Even the power lines end there. The image (to me) is more striking without them, //

Cable lead out at the base of the pole is towards the box - so it made me wonder if that was the sole reason for the lines terminating there ?
    Image without pole / lines might well be 'cleaner' - but dunno about more 'striking ... imo.
    Blue makes no sense to me -for such an iconic item - even tho' BT allowed some boxes to be repainted for various reasons - if I was one of the many 'tat'' sellers in London, trying to flog models of BT K6 boxes / London buses / etc to the hordes of tourists I'd not sell many / any ... if they were blue, methinks.

but hey ,what do I know - I only live here :)

pp

• JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

Interesting discussion. I'm not a fan of cloning things out, however, in this case it works. Not only if is visually cleaner, but without the cables, the sense of disconnection is emphasized. What is that phone booth doing there if not to channel Dr. Who?

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Many Grins
    edited June 22, 2017

What a disgrace. The entrance to The Ministry of Magic has been moved from that dirty dingy street and into the countryside. WOE shall Harry do now? :o

• willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins

@Stumblebum said:
    Art and "real" sometimes don't go together.......

We can always have the discussion of whether art mirrors life or life mirrors art :D

It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata