Options

A couple from the Scottish Highlands

RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,913 moderator

Comments

• Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

Beautiful, Richard. The shape of the land in the first is something I don't think I've ever seen. In the second, I think the sharpening may be a bit too much along the ridge and in the sky, but it's not a major issue.

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

2 is fab Richard! Jagged rock and anything with strong texture does have tendency to create sensation of sharpness.....

I have few quibbles with #1 The bottom feels chopped off creating tension point at the ebb of the valley and bottom edge.......emphasis on sky is fine but not sure if it has enough drama or somemthing eye catching..........also I would clean up the edges with houses on far right and at tension point in bottom...... and poles in bottom right....I like the bridge.....would try to hike to it or zoom to highlight it more....

Cheers!

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Many Grins

No. 2 is remarkable. Great luck it wasn't a day with clear blue sky :)

• Options

Thanks guys. I agree with most of the comments. I was only there for a short time and had rain and overcast, flat light almost the whole time. Not uncommon in Scotland. These were shot from a moving car and I thought they turned out better than I had any reason to expect. The terrain is unlike anything I had seen before, rugged and fertile at the same time. The abruptness of the hills make them look much higher than they actually are. I'd love to go back with more time.

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,182 moderator

There they are! I was wondering when we'd see some Scotland and Isle of Skye photos. Wonderful stuff, even in brief.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2017

Cheer, David. There are many more in my New Pics gallery, but I thought these were the best.

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

From moving car....wow......I bow!!

• Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins

Impressive . . . both the scenery and the fact that you captured this on the move. Well done!

"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options

Thanks, Lauren and Taz. Shooting from a car was obviously not my first choice, but I was traveling with my family, not other photographers. I was surprised at the number of keepers, though--I wasn't really expecting any. I did have to do a lot of noise reduction due to the ISO I used to keep the shutter speed high. The real problem was the flat light.