Options

Lexar Shutting Down, Nikon Owners With XQD Bays Wondering

ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,806 moderator

Another end-of-an-era:

Micron Discontinuing Lexar Removable Storage Retail Business

https://www.micron.com/about/blogs/2017/june/micron-discontinuing-lexar-removable-storage-retail-business

"Micron Technology today announced that it is discontinuing its Lexar® retail removable media storage business. The decision was made as part of the company’s ongoing efforts to focus on its increasing opportunities in higher value markets and channels.

The Lexar portfolio includes memory cards, USB flash drives, readers, and storage drives for retail and OEM customers.

Micron is exploring opportunities to sell all or part of the Lexar business.

The company will continue to provide support to existing customers through this transition period. Customers should contact their Lexar sales representative to discuss specific requirements.

I’d like to thank our team members and partners for their contributions to the Lexar business. As difficult as this decision is, the company is making this adjustment in its business to ensure it continues to be well-positioned for the future."

With Micron exiting the flash card business, that leaves only Sony as a current manufacturer of XQD cards. Without competition they are likely to drive up prices.

Nikon high-end cameras which use this memory, and who need the speed of XQD technology, should take heed. This includes the Nikon D4, Nikon D4s, Nikon D5, and Nikon D500 cameras.

ziggy53
Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

Comments

• Options
    FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins

Or Nikon will take note and switch to CFast.

Too bad Nikon hasn't taken hints on technology trends very seriously in the last few years. XQD adoption never seemed to be taking off very well.

And yes I have two bodies that use XQD. :s

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,806 moderator

Perhaps Micron will be able to sell their XQD production technology and equipment to a worthy successor? At least with Sony still making equipment using XQD cards they should not go away altogether.

I do wonder if the Nikon D5 can be retrofitted with CF cards capability since they could also be ordered/purchased with CF card slots?

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2017

@ziggy53 said:
    I do wonder if the Nikon D5 can be retrofitted with CF cards capability since they could also be ordered/purchased with CF card slots?

Yes, rumored to be about $350.

https://nikonrumors.com/2016/04/12/swapping-the-nikon-d5-cf-memory-card-slot-for-xqd-will-cost-350.aspx/

I don't know of anyone who has done it. And it doesn't help the D4s, D4, and D500 users (yes, they have one other slot, but a lot of them need dual for reliability, e.g. wedding, big sport shooters who wouldn't want to bank on one slot).