Options

New Canon SL2

Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins

I guess it's official, B& H is taking orders for the next $500 ultra small Rebel camera but if you want a small DSLR why not just get a mirrorless .... ?
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1346737-REG/canon_eos_rebel_sl2_dslr.html

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,795 moderator
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,795 moderator
    edited June 29, 2017

@Brett1000 said:
    ... if you want a small DSLR why not just get a mirrorless .... ?

The two best reasons, IMO:

1) Increased battery performance; In dSLR mode the SL2 will have much better battery life than a mirrorless, simply because fewer electronic circuits are active while waiting to capture an image. Mirrorless cameras chew through a lot more batteries for the same number of images.

2) Better low-light AF performance; Let's face it, OOF images are tossers. When you want to actually make an image you want that image to be in focus. Passive, Phase-Detect, Cross-Type AF (granted the SL2 only has a single AF point of this type), especially coupled with an external flash which has a Patterned AF-Assist Light, still has a major benefit in AF acquisition speed and accuracy.

Additionally, mirrorless cameras generally have a very short flange-focus distance. (The distance from the lens mount to the imager.) This produces a very acute angle from the lens to the imager, which results in less light to the imager in the peripheral/outlier part of the image circle. (More vignetting.) Less light and high-ISO induces more noise because you have to amplify those pixels more than the center pixels to mitigate the vignetting. Back-Side Illuminated (BSI) sensors help somewhat, but not entirely.

Additionally #2, the new and used market supply of lenses for conventional dSLRs is vast compared to the supply of lenses for mirrorless.

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,179 moderator

Dual pixel AF and the positionable twist-turn LCD are two of the many nice updates to this diminutive camera. I own a pair of SL1's and I like them both for the additional shooting possibilities compared with my all-too-huge and heavy 5D3 kit. I had one of the SL1's converted as a full time IR body by LifePixel. Canon bodies are dirt cheap through Canonpricewatch refurbs, but you have to watch for huge variations in pricing. What I'd suggest, if you're a prospective SL2 buyer and can wait a while, is to watch that site. I got both my SL1's below $280 each. This will happen to the SL2's in about a year.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2017

@David_S85 said:
    Dual pixel AF and the positionable twist-turn LCD are two of the many nice updates to this diminutive camera. I own a pair of SL1's and I like them both for the additional shooting possibilities compared with my all-too-huge and heavy 5D3 kit. I had one of the SL1's converted as a full time IR body by LifePixel. Canon bodies are dirt cheap through Canonpricewatch refurbs, but you have to watch for huge variations in pricing. What I'd suggest, if you're a prospective SL2 buyer and can wait a while, is to watch that site. I got both my SL1's below $280 each. This will happen to the SL2's in about a year.

probably, price is a factor.
    I'm enjoying my little mirrorless camera, it can easily use the big DSLR lens and the little pocket pancake lens for traveling light. don't think I would ever go back to a DSLR
    flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless