Franklin Roosevelt's Campobello Home

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
edited June 30, 2017 in Other Cool Shots

Located on Campobello Island, New Brunswick, Canada, this property came to be called, simply, Campobello. As a child and young adult, Roosevelt spent a large part of his life here. After he became President, it was also referred to as his " summer White House ". Prior to contracting polio in his later 30's, Roosevelt was supremely athletic. He regularly swam over a mile to other islands to visit friends. He was home schooled until about 14 years of age. Consequently, his exposure to other kids, and the plethora of sicknesses kids go through, was very limited. His later-life doctors felt that some of his adult health problems probably stemmed from that isolation as a child.

Campobello is the only property that is jointly maintained by both Canada and the U.S. The folks you see here are some of the maintenance crew....working on the house and planting flowers for the season. The home itself, not considering ancillary buildings, has 38 rooms, including 12 bedrooms. When the family was in residence, they brought 6 support personnel with them. Those 6 were in addition to other personnel who stayed there on a permanent basis.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Thanks for sharing another wonderful history lesson along with a nice image to go with it! Cheers Tom!

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Many Grins

Interesting and nice "post cards" :)

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

@Stumblebum said:
    Thanks for sharing another wonderful history lesson along with a nice image to go with it! Cheers Tom!

Thanks, Taz.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

@Jørgen_Bjerring said:

I appreciate you commenting, Jorgen. I'd like to form the "O" in your name as you have done. What key have you used to affect that?

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Many Grins
    edited June 30, 2017

@black mamba said:

@Jørgen_Bjerring said:

I appreciate you commenting, Jorgen. I'd like to form the "O" in your name as you have done. What key have you used to affect that?

I don't use any speciel key. I only use my normal abnormal Danish key-board that have a key for ø but this ø is formed with Alt+0248. But Jorgen is OK to me. I use it myself when ø isn't accepted. And to inform you on a higher level :) We have two more abnormal letters in Danish - æ and å. So our alphabet goes ... x y z æ ø å. No problem if you are brought up with it :D

@Jørgen_Bjerring said:

@black mamba said:

@Jørgen_Bjerring said:

I don't use any speciel key. I only use my normal abnormal Danish key-board that have a key for ø but this ø is formed with Alt+0248. But Jorgen is OK to me. I use it myself when ø isn't accepted. And to inform you on a higher level :) We have two more abnormal letters in Danish - æ and å. So our alphabet goes ... x y z æ ø å. No problem if you are brought up with it :D

That's very interesting. Thanks for the education.

Tom

• JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

Thanks for an interesting posting. Good shots.

@Juano said:
    Thanks for an interesting posting. Good shots.

Thanks, Cristóbal. Campobello is one of the most interesting places of its ilk that I've visited. The Canadian staff there was exceptionally informative about the Roosevelt's history and back stories.