Dgrin Mini Challenge #249: Journeys

sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
edited July 1, 2017 in The Dgrin Challenges

It's summer in the northern hemisphere, and many people are taking (or planning) trips of one kind or another. So I thought it would be fun to focus on journeys taken by people or animals. Let's define "journey" as a trip, voyage, flight, hike, migration, or other kind of excursion. Traveling from one place to another. The journey may be obvious or implied by the image.

Hoping this is broad enough to inspire a variety of entries!

The challenge will end on Friday, July 14th, 6 pm Eastern Standard time.

OUR UN-OFFICIAL GENERAL RULES
1. Have fun sharing and seeing what others share!
2. The host supplies a topic and you post 1-3 images. The host judges the winners (1st, 2nd and 3rd) and is not eligible to enter.
The 1st place winner then chooses the next topic, judges the winner and then passes on the baton to the new champion.
3. Any photo you’ve taken is eligible, regardless of when taken or camera used.
4. Any amount of post-processing is allowed. However, it is helpful if you list your camera and lens along with your photo.
You may comment on other contestant's images. If you want someone to leave you some critique or criticism, just ask within your post.
5. The winner has up to three days (72 hours) to begin a new mini-challenge, or the honor goes to the #2 finisher and so forth.

Guidelines:
1. Enter 1-3 photos and put them in a single post.
2. Either embed your image in the thread or, if you must, supply a link to it. Keep in mind, however, most people don't want to click to open photos hosted elsewhere (i.e. on your website).
3. Also try and resize your photos prior to posting so they're sized appropriately for viewing without having to scroll (~800 pixels on the longest side works best.)
4. Give each image you enter a title.
5. Enjoy discussion with members about their images, don't let this just be an entry thread!
6. When quoting a post change the IMG urls to a 200x200 size picture so it is clear your post is feedback and not another entry. (see here for help)
7. Don't be hesitant, share'em and enter!

Mini-Challenge pointers:
1. Upon winning a mini-challenge round your first step is coming up with a new theme, and start a new thread using the same format as others have used.
2. Make sure to notify the admin of this thread to update the main thread links with your entry thread.
3. Feel free to watch the thread as it grows or wait to the end time and look at all the entries all at once.
4. After the time/date has passed, then officially close the thread with a single post notifying everyone of the fact.
5. After you're finished judging start a new thread (again use the prior formats) and post your Winner and runners-up, it is important to have runners up incase the winner does not show within the 72hr window.
6. PM the winner with this info above and let them know they have 72hrs.
7. After the 72hrs and the winner does not show up, notify the next runner-up and post a message on the Winner thread of the fact.
8. Remember, if you're the Winner, you run the show.

Here are a few examples:

Comments

• sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins

Great theme, Gretchen! I'm curious to see what everyone comes up with.

• CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins

Interesting mini, Gretchen. Here are mine - I hope this is what you were going after.

1) Journey from Yosemite to Mariposa. Since 1975, the Mariposa County Pioneer Wagon Train has made its annual historic trek from Fish Camp, CA through Wawona in Yosemite, Ca., to the Mariposa County Fairgrounds. Following many of the old stage coach roads from the 1800s, the Wagon Train covers this 32 mile trip over the course of three days, camping each night at a different site along the way. This photo shows just a couple of the many wagons, carts and out riders in the train.

2) Geese continuing their annual migration from Canada to California.

3) And the End-of-Watch journey for Officer Nathan Taylor - his final journey.
    California Highway Patrol Officer Nathan Taylor - died from injuries he suffered after being struck by an SUV while directing traffic in a snowstorm on March 12, 2016 near Truckee, Ca. The procession to bring Officer Taylor home to Rocklin, Ca included hundreds of CHP vehicles, Cal Trans and other emergency personnel. The 110 mile route passed under many overpasses lined with fellow officers, Cal Fire, Local Firefighters, Local EMTs, local Police and citizens who had come out to pay their respect for the fallen officer.
    The first photo is the one submitted for the mini. I added two more just to finish his story.

Near the end of the procession - the hearse carrying Office Taylor to his resting site.

Officer Nathan Taylor - photographer unknown.

• sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
    edited July 2, 2017

Jo, thank you so much for getting us started! These entries fit the theme well, each in its own way. We witnessed one of these End-of-Watch processions while driving to DC one time and found it very moving! Thank you for giving the back story for all of these.

Gretchen

• JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator

1 Leaving Cartagena Spain for other port destinations

2 Traveling in Denali Alaska

3 Island hopping in Hawaii

• sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator

Thank you for your entries, Joyce!

• grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2017

1. Canal Boats in England

2 Crossing under the Chesapeake Bay Bridge at Twilight

3. Riders in a Country Line

1 and 3 taken with point and shoot film cameras.

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Thank you, GrandmaR! Those canal boats look like a fun way to make a journey!

• grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins

Yes it was something I had wanted to do for a long time - the green and red boat on the right was the one we rented - our son-in-law at the helm

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Sounds wonderful! > @grandmaR said:

Yes it was something I had wanted to do for a long time - the green and red boat on the right was the one we rented - our son-in-law at the helm

Sounds wonderful!

Looking forward to seeing more photos that fit this "journey" theme!

I'll jump in at some point - just haven't had time yet!

@sarasphotos said:
    I'll jump in at some point - just haven't had time yet!

Thanks, Sara! Looking forward to seeing what you share here when you get a chance.

This challenge will end on Friday around 6pm Eastern standard time. Hoping that a few more people will find time to post some entries! We have some great ones here already but it would be great to have a little more participation.

• JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited July 12, 2017

I was thinking it would be nice to see those who frequent our other game type challenges enter this round. Like @denisegoldberg and @Jørgen_Bjerring and the most recent new comer, @myvision . I also challenge @Stumblebum , @Richard and @David_S85 to enter! This is a great challenge theme!

For those who have entered already, if you can think of another member you would like to challenge, just tag them in a comment!

Finally have a few minutes to think about my choices. It was tough bue I've narrowed to to three favorites, one old , two new-ish.

1) One of my all time favorites from my Canal du Midi bike trip in 2011:

2) Spring 2016, on a day hike in the Allgäu region of Bavaria

3) Spring 2017, wandering on the "Waalweg" above Schenna/Meran in northern Italy

Thank you, Sara, for this lovely set of entries!

• pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins

OK, finally took the time to select and process my entries for this challenge. It's a nice theme with many possible ways to picture it, so it wasn't easy.

1: Journey through the woods, let's get home before sundown

2: Keep going west and you'll get there ;)

3: After a long journey from Asia finally in the port of arrival

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug

Thank you, Pieter! I am enjoying seeing the variety of entries for this theme.

This challenge will close around 6 pm (EST) tomorrow, Friday. Would be great to have a few more entries here!

• lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins

I'll play Gretchen - great theme, btw!

Canoeing on the Niangua

Family fun at Mt Rushmore

Vacation Tetris

~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/

Thank you, Lillian! Nice to have a few more entries here to make my task even more difficult!

Thank you to all who entered this mini! This challenge is now closed. I will try to post the results tomorrow or Sunday.

@ikbart I especially like the Mt.Rushmore shot!

• lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins

@sarasphotos said:
    @ikbart I especially like the Mt.Rushmore shot!

Thanks! Gotta have some fun, right?!

~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/