Hardwick Hall - More Glass Than Wall

FiestaRedFiestaRed Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins

"Hardwick Hall"

As it's almost on my doorstep, I had a quick trip up to Hardwick Hall this morning and, with the hall being closed early in the week, not to many visitors about.

"Hardwick Hall , more glass than wall", is a well-known local saying that actually characterises one of the key features of Hardwick, namely the exuberant use of an expensive and rare material for houses in 1590s England, namely glass. Begun in 1590 and completed only seven years later Hardwick was very innovative for its time. The initials that proudly sit atop the turrets of the house are those of Elizabeth, the Countess of Shrewsbury, she was the proclaimed builder of the house.

Comments

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Excellent!

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator

Very nice.

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited July 4, 2017

While glass windows must have been quite the new tech back then, that's not the first thing that met my eye. It was all those chimneys! A chimneysweep must have secure income from a house (hall) such as this. Well composed shot - great clouds! Too bad that enormous tree had to jump in the way on the right -- a good test for Adobe's healing brush if it could handle it.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky