Awful red lighting(color cast)

gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
edited January 24, 2006 in Finishing School
I took this picture at Big Bar at the Hyatt in Downtown Chicago and the lighting was terrible for photography. I tried to fix it but there is a huge fix needed.

This is what I started with:
52897558-L.jpg

And this is what I ended up with:
52897505-L.jpg
share.mg?AlbumID=1135552&Page=2&ImageID=52897505
Can anyone help me with this? Or is this just too bad to really fix?

Thanks
Nick
SmugMug Technical Account Manager
Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
nickwphoto

Comments

• BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2006
    Nick, about 1 min with Paint Shop Pro 9's "Manual color correction" using the girl's forehead as a sample, and a generic skin color.

52899118-O.jpg

One could do further minor color corrections from here on in...
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2006
    Pretty tough color cast but here's my go at it:

52902384-L.jpg

I worked off of your corrected shot (http://gluwater.smugmug.com/photos/52897505-L.jpg). Mainly my PS changes were to convert to LAB, select a better white point, steepen the a/b curves a little, and change the curve a little to add a little magenta and blue to the shot.

My quickie correction.
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• livinginozlivinginoz Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2006
    i would like to see a little more light on the teeth and eyes........i took a shot at it if that's ok. i did some burning on the faces, lightened eyes and teeth, added a cool filter and desaturated a little.

52906837-L.jpg
    laurie in rural minnesota

my stuff
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2006
    livinginoz wrote:
    i would like to see a little more light on the teeth and eyes........i took a shot at it if that's ok. i did some burning on the faces, lightened eyes and teeth, added a cool filter and desaturated a little.

Good idea, I didn't think of that. Teeth look great. Eyes look good but his eyes might be a bit "over-dodged" - they have a strange "stare'ing" look to them IMO
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2006
    Thanks for the good ideas guys/gals your fixes look real nice. I'll try out a couple and see which work the best for me. I'll post my final rendition when I'm done.
    Nick
    nickwphoto
    edited January 19, 2006
    Well I think I'm done with this, at least for now. I'm fairly happy with the results I recieved. I'm still open to any new tips so if you have them please let me know. Also if you want to play around with it here are links to the originals:
    right click and save as
    Unedited
    Most recent Edit

Here is what I ended up with. Let me know if you'd like to know what I did.
    53018777-L.jpg
    Nick
    nickwphoto
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2006
    Black and white your best option
    gluwater wrote:
    Well I think I'm done with this, at least for now. I'm fairly happy with the results I recieved. I'm still open to any new tips so if you have them please let me know.
    I'm dying to know how this exposure happened this way. The red channel seems to be pretty normal, but the blue and green channels are massively underexposed in the foreground. Yet, the background is fairly normal in all channels. It's almost as if it was taken with a red flash.

Anyway, after playing with the color image for awhile, I decided that the best treatment for this one is a black and white. This is the result of resetting the white point on the blue and green channels to restore some detail from them. Then, use channel mixer to take r=24%, g=78% and b=10%. Red has some nice highlights and some useful detail in their clothes, green the most detail in the face, blue lots of noise. Then, a little Neat Image on the noise and a little sharpening.

The background highlights are blown in this one. It would be possible to do a B&W conversion without blowing the highlights there (either with masking or different curves for the white point), but I kind of liked the way this turned out as it seems to serve to focus the eye on the foreground.

53065478-L.jpg
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
    edited January 19, 2006
    My best shot at a color version
    gluwater wrote:
    I'm still open to any new tips so if you have them please let me know.

Here's what I could come up with in the color version. The color detail is pretty severely damaged in the faces. I tried to make a series of channel adjustments until I got most of the skin tone into what is considered an acceptable range for caucassians. After doing so, it came out more gray and with less color detail than I wanted, but that's the limit of what I can do with the time and skills I have. I also found a lot of color noise which I tried to soften by blurring the A and B channels in LAB mode. I protected the background with a mask so it stayed relatively unaffected while I worked on the people. In the end, I think I like the B&W version better.

53066984-L.jpg
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    edited January 19, 2006
    jfriend wrote:
    I'm dying to know how this exposure happened this way. The red channel seems to be pretty normal, but the blue and green channels are massively underexposed in the foreground. Yet, the background is fairly normal in all channels. It's almost as if it was taken with a red flash.

You are close about the red flash. It was very dimmly lit in the bar and they had different colored lights instead of white lights. We happened to be sitting directly under a red light. The shot is also soft because even with the Canon 50mm f/1.4 shot at 1.4 I only got 1/15 shutter speed. I guess I should have used the flash but I'm not a big fan of using flash, partly because I don't know how to use it to it's potential. The background is "normal" because the bar is on the second floor and looks looks out over the main floor so the background did not have the same lighting as the bar did.
    jfriend wrote:
    Anyway, after playing with the color image for awhile, I decided that the best treatment for this one is a black and white.

I agree about the B&W. I just wanted to see if the color version could be salvaged. I like your B&W but I think it does have a bit of .jpg artifacts, or maybe oversharpened.
    Nick
    nickwphoto
    edited January 19, 2006
    jfriend wrote:
    Here's what I could come up with in the color version. The color detail is pretty severely damaged in the faces. I tried to make a series of channel adjustments until I got most of the skin tone into what is considered an acceptable range for caucassians. After doing so, it came out more gray and with less color detail than I wanted, but that's the limit of what I can do with the time and skills I have. I also found a lot of color noise which I tried to soften by blurring the A and B channels in LAB mode. I protected the background with a mask so it stayed relatively unaffected while I worked on the people. In the end, I think I like the B&W version better.

I ran into the same problems when I was working on the image. My version is too red but I liked that better than the alternatives I came up with. I figure the color can add to the feel of the surroundings. I also used a mask on the background to preserve it's color. A couple other things I did was to brighten the eyes and teeth on separate layers. I selected them and used a feather on the selection of 5 pixels, brightened them with the L channel in Lab and then used the eraser to get them looking right to me. I also adjusted the a and b channels with adjustment layers and erased them slightly on the lips and parts of the face to get some of the color back.

Thanks for the help with this picture. I appreciate it and hopefully one of these days I'll get good at this.
    Nick
    nickwphoto
    edited January 19, 2006
    gluwater wrote:
    I agree about the B&W. I just wanted to see if the color version could be salvaged. I like your B&W but I think it does have a bit of .jpg artifacts, or maybe oversharpened.

I made the B&W from the first image that you posted in the thread, which is pretty heavily compressed (and thus has a bunch of artifacts). If the same process was followed from your original, you likely would not see the artifacts. In my experience, JPEG artifacts get more visible when you make extreme retouch moves - probably because what were small differences in tone that were not perceptible become larger and noticable differences after big retouch changes.

Anyway, this one was an interesting learning experience to see what could be done with it.

You really ought to learn how to use your flash system. A properly exposed flash picture could have preserved most of the background, but given your subjects some better illumination and probably improved your sharpness too. A nice option to know how to take advantage of when the circumstances dictate it.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2006
    Nick,

Here's my 3 minute method for fixing (some) color casts. It really mimicks the physical effect of a on-camera filter. You are simply trying to use the inverse color of the color cast to let more of that range of colors and less/none of the color cast through to the camera. Instead, we imitate the filter effect in post. My 2-3 minute steps were:

1. Copy the background and color sample the color cast (I used the girl's cheek).
    2. Create a new layer and fill the layer with the sampled color
    3. Invert the color (Ctrl-I on PC) and change the layer blending options to Color.
    4. Reduce the Opacity to taste (I think I was at about 30-40%)

The colors in the face should look a whole lot better, but will be a bit desaturated (which may be OK on some photos)

I quickly did two more changes: added a Hue Saturation adjustment layer and changed the hue just a bit (+5?) to be more what I expected skin color to look like (at least in these parts in the dead of winter!).

Finally, I combined all the layers into a new layer and duplicated this layer, changing the blending mode to screen (opacity 23%) to lighten the picture a bit overall.

Certainly I might spend more time in post on the eyes, etc., but just wanted to show a different result than the previous posts for dealing with a color cast.

regards,
    Brad

53283306-L.jpg
  • CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2006
    livinginoz wrote:

52906837-L.jpg

Laughing.gif. The work on the eyes makes it look like a movie poster for a vampire movie.
  • CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2006
    jfriend wrote:

Anyway, after playing with the color image for awhile, I decided that the best treatment for this one is a black and white. This is the result of resetting the white point on the blue and green channels to restore some detail from them. Then, use channel mixer to take r=24%, g=78% and b=10%. Red has some nice highlights and some useful detail in their clothes, green the most detail in the face, blue lots of noise. Then, a little Neat Image on the noise and a little sharpening.

The background highlights are blown in this one. It would be possible to do a B&W conversion without blowing the highlights there (either with masking or different curves for the white point), but I kind of liked the way this turned out as it seems to serve to focus the eye on the foreground.

53065478-L.jpg

YES.

Best by far, IMO.

Whatever the lighting was in the original picture, it's not just a color cast. there are huge gaps missing in the spectrum. I tried a simple eyedropper on the eyes and the teeth, and the color is still way whacked out.

I'd say... B&W is really the only option, unless you wanna throw some wacky effects in there and go Warhol.
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited January 21, 2006
    glus_friends.jpg

PSP (all versions 7-X) w/ Manual Color Correction, skintones, caucasion / Preserve lightness & Preserve saturation both unchecked.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
    edited January 22, 2006
    Brad - That is a technique I would never have thought of. It makes perfect sense though and I'll have to give it a try. Thanks for taking the time to tell us what you did.

Thanks for the comments CatOne

David_S85 - Your shot looks very similar to BigAl's shot except for brightness, and both looked good. It's good to see some PSP techniques. The manual color corection seems to be a pretty good option to go with.
    Nick
    nickwphoto
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited January 22, 2006
    digismile wrote:
    Nick,

Here's my 3 minute method for fixing (some) color casts. It really mimicks the physical effect of a on-camera filter. You are simply trying to use the inverse color of the color cast to let more of that range of colors and less/none of the color cast through to the camera. Instead, we imitate the filter effect in post. My 2-3 minute steps were:

1. Copy the background and color sample the color cast (I used the girl's cheek).
    2. Create a new layer and fill the layer with the sampled color
    3. Invert the color (Ctrl-I on PC) and change the layer blending options to Color.
    4. Reduce the Opacity to taste (I think I was at about 30-40%)

The colors in the face should look a whole lot better, but will be a bit desaturated (which may be OK on some photos)

I quickly did two more changes: added a Hue Saturation adjustment layer and changed the hue just a bit (+5?) to be more what I expected skin color to look like (at least in these parts in the dead of winter!).

Finally, I combined all the layers into a new layer and duplicated this layer, changing the blending mode to screen (opacity 23%) to lighten the picture a bit overall.

Certainly I might spend more time in post on the eyes, etc., but just wanted to show a different result than the previous posts for dealing with a color cast.

regards,
    Brad

53283306-M.jpg

I like the theory and practice of this technique - not a random attempt to correct a specific image, but a well described, consitent, repeatable approach to strong cast color correction in general. Well done!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 22, 2006
    color-
    edited January 22, 2006
    b/w toned
    edited January 22, 2006
    sepia
  • NordicNordic Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2006
    Nice picture.
    Here is my turn:

53583540-L.jpg

Regards,
    Andreas
    edited January 23, 2006
    Andreas, those skin tones look really good, I'm not able to check the numbers right now but visually it looks very good. Would you mind sharing what you did to acheive this? Thanks.
    Nick
    nickwphoto
  • GordonGordon Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited January 23, 2006
    Combination
    Thanks Brad for such a simple technique to remove cast. It works and very easy to apply. By using your technique first then going into LAB to adjust the a/b curves to a "normal" skin tone, applied HIRALOAM sharping, I came up with this.

53681215-O.jpg
  • NordicNordic Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2006
    gluwater wrote:
    Andreas, those skin tones look really good, I'm not able to check the numbers right now but visually it looks very good. Would you mind sharing what you did to acheive this? Thanks.

Hi!
    I just used a plugin called Colorwasher.
    ( http://www.thepluginsite.com/products/photowiz/colorwasher/index.htm )