Comments and likes from outside Smugmug, without the need to log in, please!

travelwaystravelways Candid GrinnerOttawa, CanadaPosts: 7,854Registered Users Major grins

Hi,

I know this has been addressed already quite a long time ago, but nothing has been done so far...

I'm participating in other photography sites for more socialization, exposure, fun, etc., but I have all my pictures on SmugMug, and I'd like to share them.

I think this is good for me to diversify the marketing horizons, but at the same time good, if not great for Smugmug in terms of having incoming links, to the business site.

Unfortunately, I'm reluctant to place any links to my Smugmug gallery vs. direct uploads to those sites, because I cannot not get any comments or likes, or traffic to my Smugmug site... :(

I know the reason for not unlocking this feature is related to the possibility of receiving spam, but if we are notified about these comments, we can simply delete them.

On the other hand, this is actually a gross sales pitch from Smugmug. You are obliging people to make an account with your business (at least this is what it seems to be), in order to make a comment. Is this not a little cheap? It really doesn't look good, and in my opinion you are actually losing credibility and popularity.

Can you please make this feature available for the benefit of us, the users?

Thanks,

Tatiana

Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
VegasGreatAttractions.com
Travelways.com
Tagged:

Comments

• rkw624rkw624 Rich Posts: 260Registered Users Major grins

It's time for this. If you guys can't figure it out maybe Zenfolio can help. Just a thought.

Rich
  • BeautifulWorldBeautifulWorld Beginner grinner ChicagoPosts: 56Registered Users Big grins

I'd like to keep bringing this up. I think this is very important and not sure why this can't be done. I think having guest comments is one of the best ways to interact with others and maybe also allow them a chance to slowly warm up to wanting to sign up. Forcing them to sign in to comment seems like a negative thing to me.

Here are two examples. I used to have a very popular Incredible India photo gallery on Pbase. 10 years it got so popular that I was getting 1000s of hits and also people were recognizing me in my hometown in India. This was before Instagram took over. It inspired me to keep shooting and every chance I got, I was travelling. See my gallery on Pbase here. pbase.com/yardbird/incredibleindia I moved away from Pbase because it wasn't keeping up with technology. But scroll down past the galleries and you will see how many comments were there and the interaction was great. I followed up with everyone who left their email.

Now look at the my gallery here on Smugmug. Yes, I love the presentation, the app, the mobile ease, the e-commerce but I've completely lost contact with people. I am in a bubble.
    https://beautifulworld.photography/IncredibleIndia

Can we please enable guest commenting?

Thanks
    Karthik

• ShinryaShinrya Peter Stewart Hong KongPosts: 124Registered Users Major grins

I'm in agreement with the previous posters. Something needs to be changed, and that first step is to do away completely with the need for a Smugmug login to post comments.

We need guest commenting!

• ShinryaShinrya Peter Stewart Hong KongPosts: 124Registered Users Major grins

Wix and Squarespace have the ability to add 3rd party commenting systems like Disqus. SM honestly should too.