Options

DEAL: Seagate CF-II Microdrives

AlpineManAlpineMan Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
edited January 20, 2006 in Flea Market
Saw this Seagate 8gb CF photo drive: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BO0SGG/ref=nosim/103-3687776-5699028?n=172282

It's similar to Hitachi's microdrive...ie...hard drive based card...instead of using flash memory. I didn't buy one for myself nor do I know anyone who has this yet...just sharing.
Chino Hills, CA

Canon: 7D, BG-E7, 50/1.2, 85/1.2 II, 16-35 II, 24-70, 24-105 IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 100-400 IS, (2) 580EX II, MR-14EX, 1.4X II & 2X TC
Other: Sigma 150/2.8 Macro, Kenko Tubes

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2006
    AlpineMan wrote:
    Saw this Seagate 8gb CF photo drive: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BO0SGG/ref=nosim/103-3687776-5699028?n=172282

It's similar to Hitachi's microdrive...ie...hard drive based card...instead of using flash memory. I didn't buy one for myself nor do I know anyone who has this yet...just sharing.

IBM invented the MD ( i believe) and then sold all rights to Hitachi.....all the others are simply clones...like pc's were back inthe day when everyone was cloning IBM....

Microdrives used to be very delicate...but it is my understanding that Hitachi has really toughened them up.....
    off the Hitachi MD site>>>>>
    • 400G operating shock**
    • 2000G non-operating shock
    • Exceptional ruggedness to withstand tougher handling and improve portability
    It seems from some other forumsand googling that the seagates maybe not intended for use as a CF card but as IDE drives in other hardware....seems a ton have shown up on ebay and are not working with cameras....

I am a skeptic of purchasing off / generics of some things....I would only go for Hitachi for MD's...................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited January 17, 2006
    Art is right, as far as I remember. I believe IBM sold the right to Hitachi initially then sold their entire disk drive division to them sometime later.

The original Seagate drives that showed up on Ebay last year were I believe pulled from Rio mp3 players (2gb model). These were not ruggidized and weren't made to be plugged in and out more than once. There was a high incidence of failure with these drives. I believe the newer Seagates MDs are up to the specs of the Hitachi's. If I needed a new MD, I would definitely try an 8gb Seagate if it were avialable for under $200. Just me. I worked for them for awhile and I know where most of their Marketing group lives...Laughing.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2006
    I wonder why Seagate named these drives as "Photo Drive"...doesn't that imply that these would work with our DSLR's? Also, looks like there's an additional $40 rebate which brings this down to $157!

Amazon product description:

Features:
    The perfect storage solution for professional and enthusiast photographers
    Ultra-fast 3600-RPM drives with 2 MB cache
    Designed for digital cameras with a CF+ Type II media slot
    Compatible with a wide and growing range of FAT32-formatted digital cameras
    Built to last, inside and out, so the drive and data are protected
    Chino Hills, CA

Canon: 7D, BG-E7, 50/1.2, 85/1.2 II, 16-35 II, 24-70, 24-105 IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 100-400 IS, (2) 580EX II, MR-14EX, 1.4X II & 2X TC
  • Options
    PoindexterPoindexter Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited January 18, 2006
    That's a hell of a deal! I just bought a 4GB Hitachi MD for $179.
  • Options
    photobugphotobug Registered Users Posts: 633 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2006
    DEAL: Seagate CF-II Microdrives
    Not only does Amazon have the 8GB Seagate microdrive for $156 after rebate, but it also has the 4GB Seagate CF Type II Microdrive for just $99 after rebate (no tax, free shipping).
    Canon EOS 7D ........ 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS + 1.4x II TC ........ 580EX
    Supported by: Benro C-298 Flexpod tripod, MC96 monopod, Induro PHQ1 head
    Also play with: studio strobes, umbrellas, softboxes, ...and a partridge in a pear tree...

• Options
    JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2006
    photobug wrote:
    Not only does Amazon have the 8GB Seagate microdrive for $156 after rebate, but it also has the 4GB Seagate CF Type II Microdrive for just $99 after rebate (no tax, free shipping).

Wow...good deals!
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 18, 2006
    I merged the two Amazon-Seagate threads together, just in case anyone got confused. I was confused when I opened up two threads that were identical.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    livinginozlivinginoz Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2006
    JohnR wrote:
    Wow...good deals!

will it fit the canon rebel xt?
    laurie in rural minnesota

my stuff
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2006
    livinginoz wrote:

Does the digital rebel accept CF l / ll , if so then yes it should.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 18, 2006
    livinginoz wrote:
    yes
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited January 19, 2006
    Here's a list of digital cameras and other stuff that's compatible with the Seagate Photo Drive. I found this doing a google search...
    Chino Hills, CA

• Options
    photobugphotobug Registered Users Posts: 633 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2006
    Seagate PhotoDrive Compatibility list
    AlpineMan wrote:
    Here's a list of digital cameras and other stuff that's compatible with the Seagate Photo Drive. I found this doing a google search... SeagateCompat.pdf

"You da man!" Thanks much for saving a bunch of us the trouble of digging up that info!
    Canon EOS 7D ........ 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS + 1.4x II TC ........ 580EX
    Supported by: Benro C-298 Flexpod tripod, MC96 monopod, Induro PHQ1 head
    Also play with: studio strobes, umbrellas, softboxes, ...and a partridge in a pear tree...