Options

Public folder, under a password protected site-wide setting?

wschwartzwschwartz Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins

Hi - I have my entire site password protected, because 99% of the photos I have are family photos, etc that I want a password for. However, I would like to have a public folder somewhere, that anyone can access - for images where I don't care about security. Is there any way to set this up? I tried creating a folder under the root that is marked as public access, but after it gets created, the security seems to switch to password-inherited.

Specifically, I want a repository where I can have photos that I link to, when posting in forums, etc. Is there another way I can set this up, without removing the site-wide password setting?

Thanks,
H

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,244 moderator
    edited July 24, 2017

If your entire site is password protected you won't be able to have a folder that doesn't need the password to enable access.

From the help page Set a sitewide password:

When a password is set:

A lock icon appears next to your name on your homepage.
    Your name, galleries, photos, and keywords are removed from SmugMug's sitewide search. This can take a few minutes.
    Your admirers will be asked for the site password on your homepage, folder, and gallery pages without passwords. If your admirers follow a link directly to a password-protected gallery, they'll be asked only for that gallery's password.

You might consider allowing access to your site without a password. Then add a password to the folder or folders that contain your family photos. You could then create a folder for the photos you want to share. If you don't want anyone to stumble on that folder, set it to unlisted. That will allow you to share explicit photos or galleries within the folder.

You will need to specify both visibility and access. See the help page Gallery, page, and folder privacy settings.

If you need to keep the site password you will need to store the photos you want to share when posting in forums somewhere other than your smugmug site.

• Options
    wschwartzwschwartz Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins

Would a reasonable approach be to have two folders under home - one called "public" and the other called "private"? Then I could move all my galleries under private - and use public going forward for things I don't want a password. If I understand correctly, if I put a password on the private folder, any galleries under that would inherit the security setting?

Thanks!

• Options

@wschwartz said:
    Would a reasonable approach be to have two folders under home - one called "public" and the other called "private"? Then I could move all my galleries under private - and use public going forward for things I don't want a password. If I understand correctly, if I put a password on the private folder, any galleries under that would inherit the security setting?

If there is a password on the top level folder then galleries in that folder will inherit the password as long as the password field is left blank on the gallery. You will also need to set the access to "People with password".

You can test the behavior once you have made the change by accessing your site in a browser where you are not logged in to your smugmug site.

• Options
    edited July 24, 2017

You might find the FAQs on this page to be helpful.