Night Runner

StumblebumStumblebum I shoot, therefore I amPosts: 6,872Registered Users Major grins

To catch Milky Way on coast, you need, moonless, fogless, and cloudless conditions. You need to walk over slippery bluffs and avoid falling over, and get hit by waves when too close. You have to be by yourself out in dark unless you go on weekend and it is mad house. You have to let your setup get hit by waves, while you are posing and run over rocks and waves to get still for the shot. You need to avoid being ticketed. You need to forget about sleep. You need to deal with traffic jams due to road work and beach goers going home.

This year the conditions have co-operated more than others, so far. Below are my efforts.

1) Galactic Man

2) Interstellar Tower

3) Interstellar Portal

4) Galactic Bonfire

5) Passage to Stars

6) Signal to Other World

7) The Search

8) Shark Fin Milk

9) Search light

10) Ancient Launchpad

11) Galactic Touch

12) Boot Arch

Comments

• RichardRichard Mildly bemused Madrid, SpainPosts: 17,972Administrators, Vanilla Admin moderator

Terrific set, Taz.

• CavalierCavalier Life is a Bokeh Foresthill, CaliforniaPosts: 1,748Registered Users Major grins

Wow, just Wow. I think #10 is my favorite - the lighting on the pier structures from a setting sun? Love them all.

• Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Commercial Photographer San Francisco's North BayPosts: 2,294Registered Users Major grins

Fantastic set. I especially love number 2.

Steve

Website
  • StumblebumStumblebum I shoot, therefore I am Posts: 6,872Registered Users Major grins

Richard, Jo, Steve, thanks for making my morning! Can never tell you what it means! Cheers!

• kdogkdog artistically challenged San Jose, CAPosts: 11,082Administrators moderator

Those are really sweet, man. Didn't take you long at all to master those techniques! The only one that didn't grab me is the bon-fire one. The rest are truly bow-worthy (I wish we still had that gif). Cheers!

• StumblebumStumblebum I shoot, therefore I am Posts: 6,872Registered Users Major grins

Thanks K-dog! Are you back yet?
    Cheers!

• black mambablack mamba Major grins Jacksonville, FLPosts: 6,130Registered Users Major grins

Damn, buddy, this is some kind of wickedly good stuff. You start out with a virtual horror story of production issues and you finish off with an array of other-worldly visual stunners. I tell you....you work hard at your craft and you deserve every bit of the recognition and praise that you receive.

If God wanted me to touch my toes, he would have put them on my knees.

@black mamba said:
    Damn, buddy, this is some kind of wickedly good stuff. You start out with a virtual horror story of production issues and you finish off with an array of other-worldly visual stunners. I tell you....you work hard at your craft and you deserve every bit of the recognition and praise that you receive.

Tom you rock man! Thanks for always giving positive encouragement and have a wonderful day! Cheers!

• roaddog52roaddog52 Major grins In the sticks, NE of SeattlePosts: 905Registered Users Major grins

Taz, Great set, very inspiring! I have a couple of shots in mind that I have been wanting to try, out on the Washington coast. These shots just may push me to get out there and try, if I can make the time.

Phil

I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • David_S85David_S85 Spotter of Dgrin Spam and Oddities ChicagolandPosts: 11,696Administrators moderator

Unbelievable. You've certainly got Milky Way shots down. It took me over a day to respond because the last couple times I looked at these photos my brain short-circuited and could only come up with "kwo uisncp pamkadxij e taqpmmbl" as a response, which makes no sense of course. Now that I've had time to settle in with these I am still beyond awed.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Major grins MauiPosts: 584Registered Users Major grins

Taz, these are terrific! You continually impress and inspire many of us with every set. My favorites are those with the human element. Bravo!

• CornflakeCornflake Major grins Posts: 2,007Registered Users Major grins

Beautiful work! Obviously you can cope with the challenges.

Phil, David, JBR, Don, thanks for kind comments! It is fuel I cherish! If you ever come this way, you know who to ping! Cheers!

• Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Walkin' like a Penguin! Atwater, CaPosts: 3,513Registered Users Major grins
  • sarasphotossarasphotos Major grins Augsburg, GermanyPosts: 1,780Registered Users Major grins

WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW 3 & 10 are my favorites!!! This time you also told a great story, Taz - I really admire a) your photo artistry and b) the amount of work you go through to get these

• kdogkdog artistically challenged San Jose, CAPosts: 11,082Administrators moderator

@Stumblebum said:
    Cheers!

Sure am! I just looked at these again and now I want to go out and do some night shooting!

@Hikin' Mike said:
    Outstanding!

Thanks Mike!

@sarasphotos said:
    WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW 3 & 10 are my favorites!!! This time you also told a great story, Taz - I really admire a) your photo artistry and b) the amount of work you go through to get these

Thanks so much Sara!
    Cheers Both!

@kdog said:

@Stumblebum said:
    Cheers!

Sure am! I just looked at these again and now I want to go out and do some night shooting!

Awesome! Can't wait to see your shots! The MW window is closed right now and I travel next month, but it is will open in Sept and Oct and that is prime time still to catch it. Lets talk later.....

• Mare333Mare333 United StatesPosts: 15Registered Users Big grins
    Magnificent!

Thanks Mare!!

• QarikQarik Krazy Korean Posts: 4,948Registered Users Major grins

Haven't been visited in a while..these are super cool! Very nice techinically/artisticly and FUN to boot!

D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • maxcomposemaxcompose ThailandPosts: 13Registered Users Big grins
    Amazing photo, thank you for sharing

If you like my photo, please visit my website:
    https://www.maxcompose.com

• TasmanianTasmanian Quebec, CanadaPosts: 240Registered Users Major grins

Superb shots. Bravo ! The light and sharpnes are top !!!

Thanks kindly Daniel, Max, Jerry and Tasmanian!!

• JuanoJuano Major grins Brasilia, BrazilPosts: 2,953Registered Users Major grins

In complete awe... Speechless... envy is the only word that comes to mind :) !

• Eldon SheaEldon Shea Major grins Posts: 145Registered Users Major grins

Amazing set, Taz. Number 3 is off the charts amazing.

Yay! Cristobal, Bryan, thanks truly!
    Cheers!

• pathfinderpathfinder Drive By Digital Shooter western IndianaPosts: 14,088Super Moderators moderator

I like 3, 10, 11, and 12 !!

What a great series - gives me some ideas too!

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin

Thanks so much Jim!