OK, now it's my turn at some Basketball

patrickbeilpatrickbeil Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
edited January 18, 2006 in Sports
Pat

Comments

• Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited January 18, 2006
    Ya dun good Patrick thumb.gif

I'm not so sure Custom WB would help with cycling lights ne_nau.gif While it couldn't hurt, using RAW + jpg might give you a nice fallback. An F2.8 lens is tough to use in this lighting. Even if you can get a decent speed using ISO3200, you lose quite abit of the "punch or pop" at this sensitivity. Not that ISO1600 images have all that much more pop, but they do have less skin noise issues to deal with :D

Also shooting RAW will give you more exposure latitude and the ability to "blend" 2 conversions to get better dynamic range. One of the problems most bball shooters face is when the player's face is turning up towards the lights. The face can wind up at least 1 stop over, while everything else in the frame is exposed well rolleyes1.gif

Here's an example of an upturned face that had to be "blended" for better exposure

52883856-L.jpg

That's where the blending can help. Not to mention how easy it is to tweak wb, even if temps vary from image to image. Post processing is key to obtaining the best results for shots taken under these conditions. So much so, that I have probably re-editted my b-ball shots 3 times each as I have learned/figured out better ways to p/p....Laughing.gif

Yep, peak action, faces, contact and the ball. Get as many of these into the shot as you can and people will enjoy viewing them more.

It sounds like you know/knew what you need to do nextime out, so I won't belabor the point.

Good luck and show us what you get next game clap.gif

Steve

FWIW, you should have seen the first bball pics I posted :-( The kind and knowledgable folks here helped me a ton :-)
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • patrickbeilpatrickbeil Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited January 18, 2006
    Ya dun good Patrick thumb.gif

I'm not so sure Custom WB would help with cycling lights ne_nau.gif While it couldn't hurt, using RAW + jpg might give you a nice fallback. An F2.8 lens is tough to use in this lighting. Even if you can get a decent speed using ISO3200, you lose quite abit of the "punch or pop" at this sensitivity. Not that ISO1600 images have all that much more pop, but they do have less skin noise issues to deal with :D

Also shooting RAW will give you more exposure latitude and the ability to "blend" 2 conversions to get better dynamic range. One of the problems most bball shooters face is when the player's face is turning up towards the lights. The face can wind up at least 1 stop over, while everything else in the frame is exposed well rolleyes1.gif

Here's an example of an upturned face that had to be "blended" for better exposure

That's where the blending can help. Not to mention how easy it is to tweak wb, even if temps vary from image to image. Post processing is key to obtaining the best results for shots taken under these conditions. So much so, that I have probably re-editted my b-ball shots 3 times each as I have learned/figured out better ways to p/p....Laughing.gif

Yep, peak action, faces, contact and the ball. Get as many of these into the shot as you can and people will enjoy viewing them more.

It sounds like you know/knew what you need to do nextime out, so I won't belabor the point.

Good luck and show us what you get next game clap.gif

Steve

FWIW, you should have seen the first bball pics I posted :-( The kind and knowledgable folks here helped me a ton :-)

Steve,
    Thanks for the information. I was wondering about the lack of pop at 3200. I had not thought about blending the RAW + JPEG -what a great idea! It seems like I am always struggling to get the images to jump out at you, like so many others I see here. Most of what I have shot, soccer and now BB, are at high ISO, and that makes it more frustrating. I am working to get the image right at capture, but the other half of the equation is in the PP.

Funny, it does always seems to comes down to good glass, eh?

I am thankful to have found this place! It is worth every penny I spent on the subscription to DGRIN! Laughing.gif

Patrick
    Pat