Asset Management (again)

sebpaynesebpayne Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
edited January 21, 2006 in Finishing School
Hi Everyone :-(

Sorry but I am in a lot of bother at the moment on which application to use for 'asset management'. I am stuck between Lightroom, iPhoto and iView Media Pro.

I have installed iPhoto 6 today and the lovely new interface, full screen editing and instant editing features are wonderful. However, OS X can't cope with the RAW files from my camera which means coverting them to TIFF/JPEGs before importing them. Also, no IPTC/XMP support so I can't do all the tagging as with iView. I can do borderless-prints for my printer as well. Doing this means storing un-edited RAW files on DVD, edited DNG files on DVD and edited JPEG files on my Mac - that is gonna take a lot of work. But...full screen editing..mmmm...

On the other hand, iView can cope with the RAW .MRW files but it can't generate proper thumbnails (640x480 only) of them which means converting them to DNG files (but this would probally be done anyway during editing) with ACR and then annotate the files. I can't do a borderless print though - maybe it needs working out.

Finally, Lightroom is a great app (all been said and done by others) but it ain't finished! It can fully handle the .MRW RAW files from my camera without any hassle. As with iPhoto, no IPTC/XMP support though but I guess this is coming in the near future. Also, the costs - I could build a photo library and find I can't afford to continue storing it. The thought of loosing work also worries me. I can do borderless printing as well (as in iPhoto).

I'm sure you are all sick of me saying this but I need help and the people here all seem to the great. Looking at the interesting situation, any thoughts? I'm off to my first meeting at the local photography club tomorrow so I need something sorted by then!

Thanks Again - It is good having a wonderful community here :thumb

Seb

Comments