Options

Radio trigger for my Nikon SB910 flash

Mare333Mare333 Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins

Hello all,I use Nikon SB910 flash and Nikon D3300 camera. I need to use the flash OFF camera. I need to have good radio triggers for that. There are many on the market available, but there is an issue as far as I am aware - most radio triggers work fine if the off camera flash is in MANUAL mode, but don't trigger the flash if the off camera flash is in TTL mode. The only one that I found that works even when the off camera flash is in TTL mode is PocketWizard FlexTT5 transceiver. I purchased it, but it is not good. It stops working randomly while I am shooting. It triggers the flash for one shot and fails to trigger the flash at the next shot. So if you know any good radio trigger that works with the OFF camera flash in TTL mode can you please let me know. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,795 moderator

Pretty happy with the:

• Yongnuo Digital YN622N-TX i-TTL (Radio) Wireless Flash Controller (Master)
    • Yongnuo Digital YN622N i-TTL (Radio) Wireless Flash Trigger Transceiver (Slave node)
    • Flashpoint R2 Li-On "N" TTL flash

(Used on both the Nikon D7100 and D7200 bodies.)

Good range, reliable trigger set and system even in i-TTL.

Do remember that any radio wireless master/slave set is vulnerable to:

• Radio interference caused by radio wave reflections off certain wall types and objects nearby.
    • Radio interference caused by other local radio wireless systems/radio systems (even those not related to flash units).
    • Radio dead spots caused by physical barriers, and other site-based radio shadows.
    • Bad connections at either the camera side or the remote flash side, or both.
    • Bad connections caused by dirty contacts and/or loose contacts anywhere.
    • Portrait/landscape orientation, which has multiple implications for failed flash communications.
    • Old or weak batteries/cells, flash or radio wireless set.
    • Recycle speed.
    • Recycle state of the flash. (Not charged, partial charge, full charge.)
    • Overheating circuit protection on the flash.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Mare333Mare333 Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins

@ziggy53 said:
    Pretty happy with the:

• Yongnuo Digital YN622N-TX i-TTL (Radio) Wireless Flash Controller (Master)
    • Yongnuo Digital YN622N i-TTL (Radio) Wireless Flash Trigger Transceiver (Slave node)
    • Flashpoint R2 Li-On "N" TTL flash

(Used on both the Nikon D7100 and D7200 bodies.)

Good range, reliable trigger set and system even in i-TTL.

Do remember that any radio wireless master/slave set is vulnerable to:

• Radio interference caused by radio wave reflections off certain wall types and objects nearby.
    • Radio interference caused by other local radio wireless systems/radio systems (even those not related to flash units).
    • Radio dead spots caused by physical barriers, and other site-based radio shadows.
    • Bad connections at either the camera side or the remote flash side, or both.
    • Bad connections caused by dirty contacts and/or loose contacts anywhere.
    • Portrait/landscape orientation, which has multiple implications for failed flash communications.
    • Old or weak batteries/cells, flash or radio wireless set.
    • Recycle speed.
    • Recycle state of the flash. (Not charged, partial charge, full charge.)
    • Overheating circuit protection on the flash.

Thank you :smile: