My pix from Rally for Charity Event

rallymaniacrallymaniac Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
edited January 24, 2006 in Sports
hey guys, here is a few pix from the event that we had at my local autoklub week ago:
51751103-O.jpg

51751327-O.jpg

51751341-O.jpg

51751366-O.jpg

you can view rest of them in my gallery here:
http://rallymaniac.smugmug.com/gallery/1112030

Comments

• BBonesBBones Registered Users Posts: 580 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2006
    The blue car shot is great!!!!
  • illuminati919illuminati919 Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2006
    The subaru looks sweet, looks a little soft though. But other then that it looks great. I wish we had even like that around phoenix.
    ~~~www.markoknezevic.com~~~

Setup: One camera, one lens, and one roll of film.
  • ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2006
    That subaru shot is definitely a keeper. Damn!

I think you pretty much NAILED that one (exposure, compensation, shutter speed, etc...)
    - Scott
    http://framebyframe.ca
    [Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • Se7enUKSe7enUK Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited January 21, 2006
    I agree the Subaru is a great shot :)
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2006
    thumb.gif They are pretty smick hot shots RM.

Would you share the post process with us that got them so smooth ?
  • PoindexterPoindexter Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited January 21, 2006
    Like everyone else is saying the STI shot is awesome thumb.gif

I also like the second shot of the Evo 8 - I have a feeling it lost some of its detail in the flying mud being downsized for web display.
  • rallymaniacrallymaniac Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2006
    thank you all for your comments
    the subaru shot was taken at 1/160 F7.1 ISO 200. I used panning to get the motion and given that the car was going sideways, the foreground is blurred too. The WB was set to "cloudy" . I didn't like how the lights were right in my camera but didn't have too much choice at that time. It was either to take that shot or not, but now i kinda like it. Most of those action shots were done using Shutter priority. Post exposure involved just some sharpening, color, levels and contrast "pumping", not too much, just to make it look nicer :):
    I agree that downsizing "ate" some details, but it's still pretty good for action shots.
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2006
    Thanks for your tips here RM...we would be pleased to have you hang around thumb.gif
  • luckydogluckydog Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2006
    Great shots and nice tips...but what did you use (lenses) and is it best to be at a corner to shoot them as they come into it or set up past the corner and catch their exit? :):
    My boss is a rally nut and they start their '06 season next month, so I thought it might be worth a visit to take some photos.
    http://darrylluckphotography.smugmug.com

40D
    18-55mm, 28-105mm USM II, 50mm f/1.8, 400mm f/5.6
    edited January 23, 2006
    thanx again guys, i really like this forum. tons of info here. Maybe i'm not one of the ones who spend lots of time here but i browse alot when i need info and try to post some too.
    Those shots were taken with my cheapo Tamron 75-300 tele. I don't have too much money to throw into expensive equipment, but i'm trying to make the best of what i have :D
    Rally photography is difficult and different. I'm still not great at it but if you practice and look what other people make of it, you can learn a lot. There is this one Polish guy, his name is Kalamus and he just takes amazing pix during rallies. I'll try to post a link to some of his galleries for you guys to see it. I try to use some of his ideas on how to take good shots. The key seems to be to show the story with different composition for every shot. And it's true because who wants to see same shot over and over with just different car in it.
    Oh my, long post :D
    edited January 23, 2006
    here is the link to the galery of Dominik Kalamus, guy who takes unreal rally pictures and currently is my idol when it comes to this type of work

http://autoklub.pl/index.php?page=galeria&id=1118909485&

Peace
  • jweathersonjweatherson Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited January 24, 2006
    fantastic! Rally racing is the greatest motor sport, I really love the cars and the drivers I think have unlimited talent. The shots are really great, like others have said the subaru looks amazing in that drift.
    WELL done thumb.gif
    -James Weatherson

http://brit.smugmug.com
  • ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2006
    fantastic! Rally racing is the greatest motor sport, I really love the cars and the drivers I think have unlimited talent. The shots are really great, like others have said the subaru looks amazing in that drift.
    WELL done thumb.gif

Could not have put it better. thumb.gif
    - Scott
    http://framebyframe.ca
    [Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2006
    Wow! Very nice shots. I cover rallycross events regularly and have the same challenges. But with only my Panasonic dmc-fz20 and my Sony dsc-f828, the lack of a really strong zoom makes it hard to get shots like that. I've lucked out here and there. Amazing stuff. Keep it up!
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
    edited January 24, 2006
    thanx for kind words again :):