That medieval feeling...

sarasphotossarasphotos Major grinsAugsburg, GermanyPosts: 1,786Registered Users Major grins
edited August 29, 2017 in Street and Documentary

Just got back from a trip to Burgundy which is full of picturesque towns and villages stocked with Romanesque and Gothic churches and cathedrals. This is the town of Autun, walking up towards the well-known cathedral.

C&C welcome, naturally.

Comments

• RichardRichard Mildly bemused Madrid, SpainPosts: 17,974Administrators, Vanilla Admin moderator

Nice shot, Sara. Looks like a lovely place--reminds me of a number of Spanish villages. I'm not too sure about the processing though. There's just a hint of color (tinting?) in a few spots, but the overall effect seems kind of flat. I suspect you could bring out more detail by using normal color or a higher contrast straight black and white with the shadows opened up a bit. Just a suggestion.

• sarasphotossarasphotos Major grins Augsburg, GermanyPosts: 1,786Registered Users Major grins

Thanks for the tip, Richard -I'll try a couple of different versions.

• sarasphotossarasphotos Major grins Augsburg, GermanyPosts: 1,786Registered Users Major grins

Finally had a chance to do some editing. Here are a couple of different versions:

1) BW, very slightly different crop

2) original color, another slight crop variation

• black mambablack mamba Major grins Jacksonville, FLPosts: 6,130Registered Users Major grins

I love the scene. I don't get to be in such environments nearly as often as I'd like. I prefer the B&W version over the first post. I might like to see a slightly " lighter " approach to the overall luminance. However, it appears that the day is quite overcast and, due to the building array present, sunlight has a hard time getting to street level. Good shot. My favorite of all, though, is the color shot. It is a little brighter but, more importantly, it accentuates the people present. They're only a small visual presence but the road leads right to them and their role is important here.

Nice work,

Tom

If God wanted me to touch my toes, he would have put them on my knees.

@black mamba Thanks for commenting, Tom. It's interesting what you say about the people in the scene. I was actually waiting for them to get out of the way but they insisted on lingering... But as you say they add a nice point of visual interest.

• RichardRichard Mildly bemused Madrid, SpainPosts: 17,974Administrators, Vanilla Admin moderator

The color one is my favorite.

@Richard Thanks for the feedback! Just goes to show you that sometimes it's best not to try to be too artistic. :/

• pathfinderpathfinder Drive By Digital Shooter western IndianaPosts: 14,090Super Moderators moderator
    edited September 4, 2017

Interesting street scene - I'm with Tom here - I favor the colored version and for the same reason he gave - the people are apparent in the color version and just disappear to my eye in the B&W image.

If it was my image, I would try to select for the sky and lower the blue luminosity to increase the contrast in the sky - I think I see clouds there, but they are so pale in the color image the sky borders on being white. When I read the pixel data in the clouds I see a lot of 255,255,255 - totally fried white clouds without any image detail. I might try to retain some cloud detail if I could. And I still would try to lighten the street brightness as well, if the raw file allows it.

Nice image with even more potential I think

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin

@pathfinder Thanks so much for taking the time to make such detailed comments! Here is another attempt with hopefully a bit more sky detail and more street lightness. ...or is it just beginning to look overwrought??? Thanks especially for the tip about lowering blue luminosity. That indeed made a difference.

Here's the newest version:

• pathfinderpathfinder Drive By Digital Shooter western IndianaPosts: 14,090Super Moderators moderator

I think each image/iteration in this thread continues to improve.

More importantly, what do you think, Sara?

I like that the red flowers have more impact at both spots on the left side of the street, that's for sure.

I do find dropping the luminosity in the blue hues can really help a sky in LR. This MAY be a sky that needs a trip to PS, though, where the sky can be properly selected and have its own curve steepened, separate from any effect on the street.

I do like this image, and I think the most recent one is the most effective to my eye.

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Still learnin'still lovin Posts: 19,131Super Moderators moderator
    edited September 10, 2017

I like the latest color version best, and I agree that the people in the image helps to give the "raison d'être" (reason for being) to the image. Given that the steeples are what I find most architecturally interesting, I suggest a portrait crop and then corner vignette, both darkening and softer focus in the corners, to further accentuate both the people and the steeples.

A 9:16, portrait crop with less sky and the streetlight near center seems best to my eyes. (Yes, that's a major crop.)

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • JuanoJuano Major grins Brasilia, BrazilPosts: 2,957Registered Users Major grins

Great rework Sara, I also like the last version the best, I love when this sort of thing happens in the forum.

I think we have lost some of the "raison d'être" of the forum due to the thematic threads that have emerged.

@ziggy53 and @Juano
    Ziggy and Cristobal thank you both so much for your comments. Ziggy, unfortunately I haven't had much time for photo editing this past month so I haven't been able to try out your last suggestion.
    Christobal, although I like and participate in the theme threads I really treasure this kind of feedback. There is much to learn from one another!

• cosmicrealitycosmicreality San Francisco, CaPosts: 26Registered Users Big grins
    I like the color shot better also. People really add to the scene in this one.

San Francisco wedding photographer. My portfolio: chocostudio.com/city-hall/

• Jørgen_BjerringJørgen_Bjerring Copenhagen, DenmarkPosts: 3,816Registered Users Many Grins
    edited October 7, 2017

It's a lovely capture. To me the major problem with the first B&W is the sky. It's rather easy to mark it separately in Lightroom with the Adjustment Brush and then reduce the highlights (in the sky only). Afterwards I normally get a fine result by minor adjustments on blacks, shadows and contrast (on the whole picture).

Jørgen Bjerring
    Photos: https://jb-photos.smugmug.com/
    The one who takes a joke only for a joke and seriousness only seriously he and she have got both badly. Grook by Piet Hein in my poor translation.

@cosmicreality & @Jørgen_Bjerring Thank you both for commenting!

Jørgen: the Lightroom adjustment brush is something I definitely need to spend more time playing with in my upcoming retirement :smiley: (only 8 more weeks!!!)

• Jørgen_BjerringJørgen_Bjerring Copenhagen, DenmarkPosts: 3,816Registered Users Many Grins
    edited October 8, 2017

@sarasphotos said:
    Jørgen: the Lightroom adjustment brush is something I definitely need to spend more time playing with in my upcoming retirement :smiley: (only 8 more weeks!!!)

Congratulations. Retirement is great B)

Jørgen Bjerring
    Photos: https://jb-photos.smugmug.com/
    The one who takes a joke only for a joke and seriousness only seriously he and she have got both badly. Grook by Piet Hein in my poor translation.