Options

*Challenge 20: Bicycles for rent (RAW)

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited September 12, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
Bicylcles For Rent on the isle of palms

8429195-L.jpg
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Bicylcles For Rent on the isle of palms

8429195-S.jpg

ginger, looks unsharp to me. did you use not use your new tripod?

andy
  • Options
    No, I didn't. I used it in a bunch of other shots, and I thought they were set on raw, they weren't. I then went over to the Isle of Palms, to go back to that bar where the girls were. They were not there. I had taken all those shots at Alhambra, all except the wedding party shots, with a tripod.

I did not like a lot of them, so they aren't up here, but I took the harbor, tee tiny fishing boats all over, didn't show up well.............
    Anyway, when I got to the bar at the Isle of Palms, they had just locked it. Now that shot would not have needed a tripod.

Besides the main reason I went there was to see if I had the nerve to take pictures of people like that again. I had been worrying about it all week. Last night I wanted to get back on the horse, so to speak.

Since the other ones had not been shot in RAW, I did walk over to the bikes, braced my camera on my bag, while sitting down, took that photo. Several, different compositions, and to make sure it was sharp. I would think what you are missing is DOF, it looked sharp to me.

It is something, at night, in the foreground and background, ............I was tired....... went back to the car, the camera jammed, so I sat down, the people were leaving, I asked them what time they close, when I could come back, etc.

But I thought I would give you a present. I did shoot in RAW. I had uploaded the program yesterday afternoon and tested it. It still took awhile. I "lost" the pictures twice, it was very dark for shooting, IMO. And it was 4 AM when I finally got the photos up.

It was a gift! Maybe flawed, but it was a surprise gift. Perhaps you can regift. To someone you are not fond of.......say it is a gag.

ginger
  • Options
    At least I took it! Baby steps! Not that I wanted it to be bad.

The reason I am posting on it again is that I have trouble focusing manually. Nothing looks sharp through my viewfinder. Sometimes it is as though I can't see. That works fine when the camera does it, but not when I am doing it. I have not had that problem with focusing with film cameras, I think these are harder to focus, or I am older.

On other shots, I have read to put it on infinity and just let it go...... Infinity does not look as sharp as if I pull it back a bit, but I am never sure. If possible I put it on autofocus. Even with the tripod things are not looking clear, except the shot of the house, "outside looking in". I don't know if anyone has seen that. It was manually focused and on a tripod.

ginger

How do you all focus?

I am going to something this afternoon. A music thing at Bowen Island, it only lasts til 8 PM. With the sun setting about 7:30, I am not going to have long for shooting, it starts at 4............

If I do go, I would like some words about manual focusing. Seeing in the dark to focus.

And some other things........... settings, whatever.

ginger

(I do not like the program that came with Canon for doing RAW, can only see thumb prints to work on. And I had to figure it out myself.)
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    :D
    (I do not like the program that came with Canon for doing RAW, can only see thumb prints to work on. And I had to figure it out myself.)[/QUOTE]
    Ginger,

When I browse my photos, they are displayed as thumbs. When I double click on one, or change the display setting, it will be displayed in a larger form. (You can choose small, med, or large). The windows that control this are near the top left hand side right above the white balance window that defaults to "shot Setting"

Now about focus. There is a dopler adjustment on your camera. Have you adjuted this?

I primarily use the auto focus set on the center focus point, but in dificult lighting I use manual focus.

I am sure others with more experience will be along to help you more.

Camera and software stuff can be learned, speeling cain't............... If y'all don't get speell check soon I'll be a resorting to 3rd grade vocabularys to post. :D

Sam
  • Options
    Well, I paid everyone back, except Sam, he is nice and informative. And I agree re the spell check. I often change to a simpler vocabulary as I just can't get the spelling right for the "perfect" word. If not that, I am resorting to the old fashioned, "spell it wrong" and then put (sp?) next to it, so that everyone does not know that I am an idiot.

Now, how did I pay everyone back. I bought myself a 1 gb memory card from Buy.com: no cheap shipping offered. Oh Peanut Butter, I love you.

I will enjoy the card, if not now, when I go visit my daughter in DC and Damon can show me where to shoot. hehe (In October, probably). I have no storage. It used to be fine shooting with a 128 mb card and a 64 mb, just fine, two grandkids, one week, no problem. Now that much memory doesn't last an hour.............old age, I guess.

ginger (I hope I can find info on Doppler for the focusing in the manual)

What would you all like me to shoot? I will be at your command, tripod, raw, now what???? would you all pay a lot of attention to???? Except for mountains, please don't say "mountains".