Options

Breadcrumb in Page different than Gallery - Support unable to resolve. Any ideas?

PeterPeter Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins

Hi,

I have set my breadcrumb to default settings in my Pages, same as the settings I use in my Galleries. However, the text at the end of my breadcrumb for my Pages look bold and shifted down. Support has given me css code to lighten the font, but it still didn't look like the other text in the breadcrumb line. Anyway, I am not using that css code, and feel that the breadcrumb for my Pages should look the same as my Galleries. Has anyone else here come across this issue?

Thanks,

Peter

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,186 moderator

Did you ever rename this gallery?

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options

@David_S85 said:
    Did you ever rename this gallery?

You mean the Page (2016-12 December)? It's a new Page, so no, I have not renamed it.

The Gallery breadcrumb: Private> Photos > 2017 is fine.
    The Page breadcrumb: 2016 > 2016-12 December is the breadcrumb I am having issues with. All my Pages suffer the same issue. Where as all my Galleries display the breadcrumb properly.

Thanks David

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,238 moderator
    edited September 19, 2017

@Peter said:
    The Gallery breadcrumb: Private> Photos > 2017 is fine.
    The Page breadcrumb: 2016 > 2016-12 December is the breadcrumb I am having issues with. All my Pages suffer the same issue. Where as all my Galleries display the breadcrumb properly.

As far as I know the gallery breadcrumb was changed to accommodate showing the name within the gallery cover image - but a page doesn't have the option of a cover image so I assume that's why the page breadcrumb is different.

I'm not aware of a way to change the line break behavior on a page.

I'm curious though - I just checked the breadcrumb on some pages on my site, and the breadcrumb is lined up along the bottom with the top of the name of the page in the breadcrumb showing taller than in the beginning elements. For example:

Have you applied any CSS to the breadcrumbs on your site?

• Options

Hi Denise,

If I choose emphasize, the text lines up:

But it's when I deselect emphasize, the text does not line up:

I have not applied any CSS to my breadcrumbs and this only happens with Pages.

Thanks,

Peter

• Options

@Peter said:
    I have not applied any CSS to my breadcrumbs and this only happens with Pages.

Very interesting. I just did some experimenting on my site and I see that behavior with pages too if I deselect emphasize. Interestingly enough it does not happen with system pages like \keywords, just with user-created pages.

Maybe someone else can come up with some CSS to correct this - I haven't been successful.

This looks like a bug to me.

But - your breadcrumb for a page will still look different than that for a gallery because the title of the gallery shows on a different line; the title for a page does not.

• Options

@denisegoldberg said:
    Maybe someone else can come up with some CSS to correct this - I haven't been successful. . . This looks like a bug to me . . .

Thanks for experimenting Denise.

I also believe it's a bug. As for CSS, support emailed a code:

.sm-user-ui .sm-breadcrumb-item[data-is-current-page] {
    font-weight: 100;
    }

. . . but it simply put the text at a thinner font and didn't resolve the issue.

Peter

• Options

@Peter said:
    I also believe it's a bug. As for CSS, support emailed a code:

font-weight: 100;
    }

See if experimenting with this CSS works for you:

padding-bottom: 1px; 
        }

It's a pretty subtle change. I used a larger number just to verify movement but I think something close to 1px helps.

Let me know what you see.

• Options

Thanks for the code Denise,

I have entered it, and now the text lines up, appreciate that. But as you can see, the font is still unlike the preceding breadcrumb text.

Really appreciate you taking the time to help out.

Peter

• Options

@Peter said:
    I have entered it, and now the text lines up, appreciate that. But as you can see, the font is still unlike the preceding breadcrumb text.

You could try removing the CSS to change the font weight. You could also experiment with the font-weight specification.

This page might be of interest - https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/font-weight.

When I experimented on my site, without the font-weight specification the font appears the same in different sections of the breadcrumb.

• Options

Thanks Denise,

Here is what I get removing the code given to me by support. Still looks bold.

Interesting that your tests show the font being the same in different sections of the breadcrumb.

Thanks for the link re font-weight.

Peter

• Options

@Peter said:
    Interesting that your tests show the font being the same in different sections of the breadcrumb.

I'm not sure what to suggest other than putting the font-weight: 100 back in.

I think it looks fine either way; I suspect you will need to choose the option (with or without the code) that you find less annoying.

• Options

@denisegoldberg said:
    I'm not sure what to suggest other than putting the font-weight: 100 back in.

I think it looks fine either way; I suspect you will need to choose the option (with or without the code) that you find less annoying.

Thanks Denise, your code helps to make it look better!

Take care

Peter