Options

Canon 5DM3 Video Recording Buffer Dual Cards

toadlettoadlet Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins

I would like to use the dual card slots in the 5DM3 to be able to have a backup on the SD card. The 5dm3 SD has a slow write speed of something like 15mb/sec and when you use it to backup files from the CF card, no matter how fast the CF card is, it will be limited by the SD card speed. So question is how does writing to both cards for redundancy go for people? Is it a workable option to record in HD?

Comments

• Options

Actually, on reading the manual from page 228 it says that you cannot record to both cards when shooting movies

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,799 moderator
    edited November 10, 2017

I think that single-card-recording-only is pretty typical for most dSLRs, especially for a 5 1/2 tear old model. :)

The work-around is to use the HDMI port and an external recorder (plus, possibly, a monitor), like one of the compatible Atomos models. Starting with Firmware V1.2.1 the Canon 5D Mark III can output "clean" uncompressed digital video to HDMI, meaning no overlay information and YCbCr 4:2:2 8-bit video. I believe that the Magic Lantern for firmware 1.2.3 also supports clean HDMI output.

I don't own an external video recorder, but here is a link to an article with sample footage to examine:

Canon 5D Mark III uncompressed HDMI sample footage

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator

You can record Full-HD video to the SD card on the 5DMKIII. I've done it many times. In fact it seems to default to that if you have your camera set up to write to both cards. Not what you might expect.

• Options

@kdog said:
    You can record Full-HD video to the SD card on the 5DMKIII. I've done it many times. In fact it seems to default to that if you have your camera set up to write to both cards. Not what you might expect.

Not if you are recording in the duplicate mode, ie using the SD card as a backup to the Cf simultaneously.

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited October 2, 2017

@toadlet said:

@kdog said:

Not if you are recording in the duplicate mode, ie using the SD card as a backup to the Cf simultaneously.

As you previously noted, you cannot record video to both cards simultaneously. My point was simply that the SD card is fast enough to record video.