Options

Social sharing on photos

jamblarjamblar Registered Users Posts: 5 Big grins

Hi. I would like to encourage social sharing on my photos and make it as easy and obvious as possible for the user. I imagined this would be a popular requirement so forgive me if I've overlooked an obvious option or a previous post. I have found lots of info regarding the standard 'share' button enabled via 'account settings' > 'discovery' > 'social sharing links' > 'ON' which I have tried, but this doesn't quite work for me for two reasons: 1) The icon is very subtle (although I expect this could be fixed with some CSS) but even so the social sharing options are buried within the 'Social' tab - I know that this just won't be used as much as it could be, if at all. 2) The 'share' icon isn't actually showing up for my users, only for myself when logged in, regardless of whether or not I have the option switched on in my settings. At the very least I'd like to be able to fix this!

Ultimately what I would really love to see is very clear and obvious buttons that say 'Share photo to Facebook' 'Share photo to Twitter' etc under each individual photo in all my galleries. I'm just wondering if there is anything remotely like this available, I don't mind a bit of a project with the CSS to get it exactly as I need.

For reference, here is an example of one of my galleries (most are password protected, this one is not.) http://photos.blooperphotobooths.co.uk/YourPhotos/Ben-Mickaela

Thanks in advance for any advice

J

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,245 moderator

@jamblar said:
    2) The 'share' icon isn't actually showing up for my users, only for myself when logged in, regardless of whether or not I have the option switched on in my settings. At the very least I'd like to be able to fix this!

Ultimately what I would really love to see is very clear and obvious buttons that say 'Share photo to Facebook' 'Share photo to Twitter' etc under each individual photo in all my galleries. I'm just wondering if there is anything remotely like this available, I don't mind a bit of a project with the CSS to get it exactly as I need.

I see the share icon on the gallery that you shared.

To add text to the buttons, see the customization at http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations/Gallery/Add-Icon-Labels.

Hopefully someone else knows how to switch the order of the tabs in the share dialog.

• Options
    jamblarjamblar Registered Users Posts: 5 Big grins
    Hey Denise, thanks so much for this. This customisation plus switching the order of the tabs would probably do the trick, that's a nice idea if it's possible!

I'm guessing that the share button shows up on this gallery as it's not password protected, I now notice that I can actually see it too on the gallery I posted. But it still fails to show on my protected galleries. Which I suppose makes sense in a way, especially for a lot of Smug Mug users. But for my purposes I lock my galleries as a courtesy to my clients but I have no problem with the images being shared, despite the gallery being locked. If I'm right, I suppose this is down to SmugMug and how much control they give us over these options - so maybe this would be a feature request for better control over the sharing options, if this isn't already possible...

Thanks again for your help
  • Options
    JenuineJenuine Registered Users Posts: 155 SmugMug Employee

Hello Jamblar,
    You are correct, certain privacy options block the ability of sharing by those that are not logged in admins to the site. If you use the privacy of, "Unlisted" though, which protects the Gallery from others seeing it unless a link has been sent to them, turn on the Social Sharing for that Gallery, the end user does have the ability to share the image to social options. If you would like some additional information about this write to the Support Heroes, help@smugmug.com, give the link to the gallery and they can review and advise.

Best,

Jen
    SmugMug Support Hero