Valencia, Spain

MarkSykesMarkSykes United KingdomPosts: 19Registered Users Big grins

Hi All,

I've just joined SmugMug from a site being with "Z".
So I thought I'd share my first gallery upload with you.

Valencia is a place I wanted to visit for many years, because I like architecture. Plus, my favourite architect, Santiago Calatrava, has designed a lot of buildings there.
After many years of putting the trip off, I finally went.
I would like to revisit, but I'd probably just shoot them same shots again.

Here's a small selection of the results (3 verticals and 3 horizontals):

Featured at www.MarkSykesPhotography.co.uk/Valencia

CC welcome, about the photos or the gallery style (SmugMug) or anything else.
Thank you for looking :)

Comments

  • RichardRichard Mildly bemused Madrid, SpainPosts: 18,114Administrators, Vanilla Admin moderator

    Hey Mark. Nice set here and on your SmugMug site. I'm a big Calatrava fan too. It looks like you found just the right spots and angles to showcase his style and you got lucky with some nice skies as well. Well done. Looking forward to seeing more of your work. :+1:

  • MarkSykesMarkSykes United KingdomPosts: 19Registered Users Big grins

    @Richard said:
    Hey Mark. Nice set here and on your SmugMug site. I'm a big Calatrava fan too. It looks like you found just the right spots and angles to showcase his style and you got lucky with some nice skies as well. Well done. Looking forward to seeing more of your work. :+1:

    Thank you very much :)
    I've also visited the Milwaukee Art Museum a few years ago, but the weather was poor. So I didn't get anything worthwhile from there.

  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub One Inspired soul Posts: 10,527Registered Users Major grins

    These are beautiful photos. from title of post i was expecting traditional spanish neighbourhood... but these are equally awesome. Beautiful architecture very well photographed.

    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

    Gallery
  • MarkSykesMarkSykes United KingdomPosts: 19Registered Users Big grins

    @Awais Yaqub said:
    These are beautiful photos. from title of post i was expecting traditional spanish neighbourhood... but these are equally awesome. Beautiful architecture very well photographed.

    Thank you Awais :)

  • RichardRichard Mildly bemused Madrid, SpainPosts: 18,114Administrators, Vanilla Admin moderator
    edited November 21, 2017

    @MarkSykes said:
    I've also visited the Milwaukee Art Museum a few years ago, but the weather was poor. So I didn't get anything worthwhile from there.

    I've been there as well. It's less impressive than the stuff in Valencia, but is completely recognizable. Since it's a smallish addition to an older building, I think it has less impact. The interior is cool, though, and it's a nice little museum.

  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Major grins North Andover, MAPosts: 11,471Super Moderators moderator

    @MarkSykes said:

    These are wonderful! My favorite of the set is the 2nd to last photo.

  • MarkSykesMarkSykes United KingdomPosts: 19Registered Users Big grins

    @Richard said:

    @MarkSykes said:
    I've also visited the Milwaukee Art Museum a few years ago, but the weather was poor. So I didn't get anything worthwhile from there.

    I've been there as well. It's less impressive than the stuff in Valencia, but is completely recognizable. Since it's a smallish addition to an older building, I think it has less impact. The interior is cool, though, and it's a nice little museum.

    Agreed, I like the interior too.

  • MarkSykesMarkSykes United KingdomPosts: 19Registered Users Big grins

    @denisegoldberg said:

    @MarkSykes said:

    These are wonderful! My favorite of the set is the 2nd to last photo.

    Thank you very much :)
    That image was shot at 12mm at the edge of a reflecting pool.
    I couldn't move back to fit more sky or water into the frame, because the pool edge would have been in shot.
    So it was very tight framing it.

  • CavalierCavalier Life is a Bokeh Foresthill, CaliforniaPosts: 1,804Registered Users Major grins
    edited November 22, 2017

    @MarkSykes said:

    Spectacular shots. And I too came into this page expecting typical Spanish architecture and shots (not that typical Spanish architecture is boring). But the last shot really got my attention - and not just because it reflects a dinosaur inside a fish! Wonderful reflections and compositions. And the little star effect is a welcomed addition to the overall shot.

  • MarkSykesMarkSykes United KingdomPosts: 19Registered Users Big grins

    @Cavalier said:

    @MarkSykes said:

    Spectacular shots. And I too came into this page expecting typical Spanish architecture and shots (not that typical Spanish architecture is boring). But the last shot really got my attention - and not just because it reflects a dinosaur inside a fish! Wonderful reflections and compositions. And the little star effect is a welcomed addition to the overall shot.

    Thank you very much :)

  • David_S85David_S85 Spotter of Dgrin Spam and Oddities ChicagolandPosts: 11,777Administrators moderator

    Mark, these, and all the rest at your SM site are incredible! Love the angler fish-like building. Well seen! Can't wait until your other galleries become filled with photos.

    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • MarkSykesMarkSykes United KingdomPosts: 19Registered Users Big grins

    @David_S85 said:
    Mark, these, and all the rest at your SM site are incredible! Love the angler fish-like building. Well seen! Can't wait until your other galleries become filled with photos.

    Thank you David :)
    I've got lots more to add. It should be ready sometime by 2020 ;)

  • MarkSykesMarkSykes United KingdomPosts: 19Registered Users Big grins

    I appreciate no one cares, but some good news.
    If today (1st Dec. 2017) you use the Bing search engine, you can see one of my Valencia photos (a spiral staircase) being used on the Home Page :)

    My 15mins of fame are over ;)

Sign In or Register to comment.