Options

Manteros

RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,912 moderator
edited November 24, 2017 in Street and Documentary

Like many popular European tourist destinations, Madrid has many people selling crap on the street, mostly forged purses, sunglasses, DVDs and athletic wear. The sellers are called manteros in Spanish, from manta, meaning blanket. Their "blankets" are cleverly designed with cords attaching to the corners so that they can gather all the stuff into what becomes a sack in a single motion and run from the cops quickly. It's a game of cat and mouse--when the police are approaching, they flee only to set up shop again a couple of blocks away. The cops have more important matters to worry about and don't really make much of an effort to stop them.

I have been trying for the longest time to get a shot of them with some police in a single frame, but their lookouts are really good. They are on the run before the cops even get close.

Comments

• Options
    CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,033 Major grins

It's so much fun learning something new in this world with the added benefit of very telling and dramatic shots. I love these, Richard - and thanks for the back story. Interesting that in every shot someone is either looking over their shoulder or are acting as a lookout.

• Options
    kurzvorzwoelfkurzvorzwoelf Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins

I've always wondered how the business model works, because I couldn't imagine that someone buys the stuff which is sold by those friends. I guess aggressive sales tactics are part of the business?

Some nice shots there, I do especially like number 3 and 4.

Wise words from the Dog of Wisdom: If your ball is too big for your mouth, it's not yours.

I'm here to learn and progress. Honest feedback and criticism on my images is warmly appreciated!

My SmugMug site - kurzvorzwoelf.com

• Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins

3 & 4 for me also...

Interesting story and business model

Thanks for posting Richard...

Rags
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins

Very interesting stuff....and nicely documented. I've been practicing my skills at working with the " blanket "....I mean you never know what life holds.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2017

Thanks for commenting, everyone. I don't know much about how the business works, but I gather it's rather pyramid like--the guys on the street are bit players and the ones at the top are doing big business, importing cheap, generic merchandise in bulk then adding fake labels. I have no idea how many middle layers there are. The vendors are usually vulnerable, undocumented immigrants from sub-Saharan Africa--in Madrid, they're often from Senegal. In Barcelona, they have attempted to organize to demand worker protection, but I don't know how that's going.

• Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2017

It probably is incompatible to judge the working conditions of these vendors with the free world model

My guess is these vendors are from dangerous living conditions, probably there illegally and are barely surviving

Be grateful they are not robbing you and they trying to earn a living by not begging

I wish them luck & you brought us a good story

Rags
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2017

@torags said:
    My guess is these vendors are from dangerous living conditions, probably there illegally and are barely surviving...
    Be grateful they are not robbing you and they trying to earn a living by not begging

Yes, these are among the talking points of the group that's advocating on their behalf. Against them are merchants (who resent the competition), large corporations, (who don't like the trademark infringement), and xenophobes (the vendors are African). But the majority thinks they're mostly harmless and pays no attention to them at all. The local press did pick up a story a few years ago about one brave soul who set up shop right in front of the Louis Vuitton boutique, offering knock-offs for roughly one thousandth the price. Such a deal!