Lone tree of Llanberis

GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator

the famous tree in Llyn Padarn , Snowdonia north wales

long exposure with b&w conversion in Nik silver fx

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator

Nice composition and good conversion. Well done.

• puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins

I agree, but - to my eye, it'd be even better without the tree frame right - it breaks the (clean) silhouette / skyline

pp.

• GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator

@puzzledpaul said:
    I agree, but - to my eye, it'd be even better without the tree frame right - it breaks the (clean) silhouette / skyline

pp.

Maybe , but with the mountain behind the tree a little bit dull, the tree keeps your eye away from that and focus on the tree and towards the mountains in the background to the right.
    that my thinking :)

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator

Terrific image, but I agree with Paul. To my eye, the sliver of branches and corresponding reflection entering the picture on the right edge are a needless distraction to an otherwise delightfully clean image.

Difficult to tell on this size of pic, but there doesn't seem (to me, anyway) to be a great deal of 'dullness' difference between the distant mountains / skyline on the RHS and LHS frame edges. If your intention is to stop / pause the viewer's eye when transitioning from either L > R or vice versa, then yes, this has certainly been achieved.

However, when viewing pics (especially those with subjective 'eye pulls') - that are hoping to be considered as more than just 'record' shots - if one wears a - drawing with light definition hat - I ask myself ... would the artist have drawn /added that specific element onto the paper / canvas?

A positive answer is a rare beast imo - certainly is with my own efforts, anyway.

pp

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator

Interesting description of your thought processes, PP. I like them, and I find I do agree. Would I have added the tree if it were not there? And I would say I would not have added it. I will use that question to myself again in images of mine, I think.

Lovely image, but a bit better with a minor crop to the right edge.

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator

@puzzledpaul said:
    ... would the artist have drawn /added that specific element onto the paper / canvas?

This is exactly the right question. In this case, I would answer no and crop the right edge, though I must say it didn't bother me when I first saw the image. But now I can't help looking at it. Funny how that works.

• GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator

Now you have mentioned it, i now find myself looking at those small brances also !

agree with you to crop them out

thanks for comments everyone .

• ImYoshiImYoshi Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    Wow this scene is straight out of a horror movie...No I mean it in a good way, nice setting and capture!
    edited November 30, 2017

This is turning out to be a bit like waiting for buses ... :)
    Email from phase one pointed me to this

... I prefer yours .

pp