Goat Rock

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Inner Tube PilotPorter Ranch, CaliforniaPosts: 4,586Registered Users, Retired Mod Major grins

Another couple of photos from Sonoma County. Same capture, just two different crops.

By the way, never did find the goat. LOL

1 - As framed in camera

2 - Cropped in post

"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Major grins North Andover, MAPosts: 11,867Super Moderators moderator

That looks like a great spot to visit!

I prefer the first image. The expansiveness of the scene makes that one stand out for me.

• anonymouscubananonymouscuban Inner Tube Pilot Porter Ranch, CaliforniaPosts: 4,586Registered Users, Retired Mod Major grins

It's beautiful Denise. I hoped to go back soon although I'm told it is often foggy. Got lucky with the weather I guess.

I also prefer how I framed it in camera.

"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • StumblebumStumblebum I shoot, therefore I am Posts: 7,233Registered Users Major grins

1 Alex is great as you have dramatic sky! It is giving it bit of spiritual quality. However, that kelp in bottom left corner of the first one has to go.....it is huge distraction in my opinion and driving the eye to the corner. Cheers!

• David_S85David_S85 Spotter of Dgrin Spam and Oddities ChicagolandPosts: 11,964Administrators moderator
    edited December 16, 2017

So clear. And that sky! Amazing. Good job. I want to like the 2nd shot more, but that sky would be mostly marginalized by the crop. First version has it all, except maybe a flying bird.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Still learnin'still lovin Posts: 19,639Super Moderators moderator

@Stumblebum said:

1 Alex is great as you have dramatic sky! It is giving it bit of spiritual quality. However, that kelp in bottom left corner of the first one has to go.....it is huge distraction in my opinion and driving the eye to the corner. Cheers!

I very much agree. The first image is wonderful and ready for printing at very large size, except for that crud in the lower left of the frame. Remove that in post-processing and you achieve a perfect bounding line of rocks for the scene which greatly helps the composition.

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • kdogkdog artistically challenged San Jose, CAPosts: 11,215Administrators moderator

Agree with Ziggy and SB. The crop feels to crowded. #1 FTW!