Charlotte (My spouse, believe it or not!)

elfving73elfving73 Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
edited January 26, 2006 in People
Hello friends!

For some reason all of a sudden, I managed to get my spouse to pose for ATLEAST 2-3 minutes. *Haha* She really hates it and she has no patience what so ever. You know, if I ask her "now, just turn a liiiittle more to the left, forhead slightly down....." she goes "Please, just take that bl**dy picture!" Anyone familiar to this phenomen? ;o)
Comments and critics are most welcome!
Regards / Matty

Shooting:
I used my 10D, Canon 50 mm f/1.8 II, tripod, remote Switch Canon RS-80N3. I positioned her against the wall and placed a 3 bulb (25W) lamp without the lampshade on her left (right in picture).

Exif: Raw, 1/50s, f/2.2, ISO 400

Workflow:
Converted to B&W (Channel mixer) then made it a Split tone (adding color only to the shadows using the "Color Balance", checking the "shadows"-box, altering cyan-red +15, yellow-blue -15 (Ca). Then (on the two first versions) I boosted the color just a little via the "Hue/Saturation" increasing the "saturation". Did a little doging on her eyes, and some buring in the shadow areas around the frame. Added some USM (500/0,2/0) and a little extra sharpening on her eyes. On the last one, (version 2 of the second pic) I masked her eyes and added just a little "lens blur" to make the eyes pop a little more.

That's it!

53091408-O.jpg

53149121-O.jpg

I gave the second one another go, to the better?

53632484-O.jpg

Comments

• binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2006
    i like it a lot, especially the eyes. i'm not saying what you did is wrong at all, but the only thing i see right now that i would've done differently is i would've had her hand pressed against her shoulder instead of being raised. i think that would make it look more comfortable.
  • elfving73elfving73 Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2006
    Thanx Binghott! Well, I guess you're right, but you don't know Charlotte! :D You only got ½ a chance, and you better shoot fast! No waisting time on thinking! *Haha* I'm not kidding, 2-3 minutes was all I got!

Matty
    binghott wrote:
    i like it a lot, especially the eyes. i'm not saying what you did is wrong at all, but the only thing i see right now that i would've done differently is i would've had her hand pressed against her shoulder instead of being raised. i think that would make it look more comfortable.
  • DirtyRatDirtyRat Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited January 20, 2006
    Nicely Framed
    No patience can throw a shoot. I tell ya, if your subject isn't willing, it will show through in your pics! You did good job in the 2-3 min. you had.
    A side note, I have a pet tarantula named Charlotte!
  • JnicholsJnichols Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2006
    She's beautiful. I really like the second pic- you wouldn't know she only gave you a few minutes to take her picture! As always, these are great - I look forward to seeing your posts.
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2006
    Matty,

#2 is very nice - a big thumbs-up. Nothing wrong with #1 but I don't like the smile as much with the pose.

As said before in this thread, great eyes.
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2006
    in the first, her eyes are stunning but I find the highlights on her cheek and lips a little too harsh

The second is just excellent.... clap.gif
  • PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2006
    Hi Matty
    I think you got some great photos in such short notice.
    I know what you mean I can't get my wife to model for me either :-).
    I would like to see photos with a little more space around your wife.
    I don't like how the pinky finger was spread out so far in the first shot.
    Did you shoot in B&W or convert them in PS?

Take Care,
    Chuck,
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 22, 2006
    Matty

nicely done-

care to share your technique?-

thanks
    george
    edited January 23, 2006
    Thanx DirtyRat! Haha! Did you name her after the spider in "Charlottes Web"? My oldest sons absolute favorite cartoon film. :):

Matty
    DirtyRat wrote:
    No patience can throw a shoot. I tell ya, if your subject isn't willing, it will show through in your pics! You did good job in the 2-3 min. you had.
    A side note, I have a pet tarantula named Charlotte!
  • NappaloniaNappalonia Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited January 23, 2006
    I love the sharpness in the eyesthumb.gif
    http://nappalonia.smugmug.com/gallery/580776

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    20D :clap
    Canon
    18-55
    85 1.8 :wink
    Tamron
    28-75 2.8
    Sigma
    70-300 DG APO Macro
    30 1.4:thumb
    edited January 24, 2006
    Thank you, Jen! :): I think I'll try with her again every now and then, and eventually, perhaps she will enjoy it! :): (But I wouldn't bet on it!)

Matty
    Jnichols wrote:
    She's beautiful. I really like the second pic- you wouldn't know she only gave you a few minutes to take her picture! As always, these are great - I look forward to seeing your posts.
    edited January 24, 2006
    Thanx John! I gave #2 another go, do ya like it better?

Matty
    Matty,

#2 is very nice - a big thumbs-up. Nothing wrong with #1 but I don't like the smile as much with the pose.

As said before in this thread, great eyes.
    edited January 24, 2006
    Thanx gubbs! My intention was rather hard lighting with heavy shadows, but you are right, the highlights on the cheek is a little to harsh.

Matty

gubbs wrote:
    in the first, her eyes are stunning but I find the highlights on her cheek and lips a little too harsh

The second is just excellent.... clap.gif
    edited January 24, 2006
    Thanx Chuck!
    If I'll ever get the chanse again, I'll take some photos with more space around - but I have a hard time believing that is gonna happen! ne_nau.gif ´

I shot in color, converted in PSCS2 afterwards!

Matty

Hi Matty
    I think you got some great photos in such short notice.
    I know what you mean I can't get my wife to model for me either :-).
    I would like to see photos with a little more space around your wife.
    I don't like how the pinky finger was spread out so far in the first shot.
    Did you shoot in B&W or convert them in PS?

Take Care,
    Chuck,
    edited January 24, 2006
    Thank you, George!

Shooting:
    I used my 10D, Canon 50 mm f/1.8 II, tripod, remote Switch Canon RS-80N3. I positioned her against the wall and placed a 3 bulb (25W) lamp without the lampshade on her left (right in picture).

Workflow:
    Converted to B&W (Channel mixer) then made it a Split tone (adding color only to the shadows using the "Color Balance", checking the "shadows"-box, altering cyan-red +15, yellow-blue -15 (Ca). Then (on the two first versions) I boosted the color just a little via the "Hue/Saturation" increasing the "saturation". Did a little doging on her eyes, and some buring in the shadow areas around the frame. Added some USM (500/0,2/0) and a little extra sharpening on her eyes. On the last one, (version 2 of the second pic) I masked her eyes and added just a little "lens blur" to make the eyes pop a little more.

That's it!

Regards / Matty

gefillmore wrote:
    Matty

nicely done-

care to share your technique?-

thanks
    george
    edited January 24, 2006
    Thank you, Nappalonia! thumb.gif

Matty
    Nappalonia wrote:
    I love the sharpness in the eyesthumb.gif
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2006
    elfving73 wrote:
    Thanx John! I gave #2 another go, do ya like it better?

Matty

I actually like the tonal quality of the first version of #2 better. Your newer version looks a little too "hot" or washed out in the brighter areas of the shot.

But it might be my flat panel monitor. Not the best Dell. Need to upgrade.
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 25, 2006
    elfving73 wrote:
    Thank you, George!

Shooting:

Workflow:

That's it!

Regards / Matty

Matty

thank you very much for that detail--

liked your toothpaste pic--pretty cool-

I'm an ultrasound tech and run scans (not scams) on hospital patients--a lot of them need someone like you for help-

good job all round, Matty!
    george
  • Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2006
    Mattias!
    I like all of them, but the last one is just super - very very touching...
    Spasibo,
    Yuri