Options

Low bandwidth viewing of galleries in Cuba

Lightheart_danceartLightheart_danceart Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
Hi, I recently did some work in Cuba. I'm back in the US now, and trying to share images with friends in Cuba. They are severely constrained by both bandwidth and by length of time they can spend on a site. Currently I have uploaded jpeg at about 1 to 3 M. I had someone tell me they can't browse. So my question is, since when they are browsing in a gallery, especially on a phone, I am assuming they are browsing thumbnails. If that is correct, then the size of the file I have uploaded has no effect on their browsing experience. These are not techie folks, it may well be that they just had a bad connection to the internet, which happens all the time.
On the other hand if the size of the file is somehow directly connected to their browsing experience, I could create a batch file to convert the all (~6,000 images in several galleries) to smaller images.
On the third hand, if the size of the file that I upload does not effect the browsing speed or user experience, then is there a way to control the connection? For example is there a low bandwidth optimized connection that can be used?

Comments

• Options
    FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins

I'm guessing how it works varies by gallery type, e.g. landscape collage has much bigger images in browsing than smugmug's default. perhaps share the gallery, or at least details, so people who know can look first?

• Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins

The easiest thing would be to just set a Maximum Display Size on the gallery to something like Medium or Large to keep the file sizes that are shown to them small, but you can still have your original resolution images available for your viewing or for backup purposes.

dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations