Distance with macro lenses / Rig question ...

VikingViking Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
edited January 20, 2006 in Cameras
I will get my self a macro lens when the insects are coming. And I have a question: How far away the little bug can I be with a 50mm, 105mm and a 150mm macro lens ? I dont want to scare the bugs with the camera and lens.

One more question. I have seen some very cool rigs on the forum. Where they have placed the flash so it's on the side of the camera and aims at the object. Is that something home made or something that is possibe to buy in camera stores? I have looked a bit but could not find any - Please give me an url to a store that sell them.

Regards
/ Johan - 2006 Bug hunter. :1drink

Comments

• DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2006
    Viking wrote:
    I will get my self a macro lens when the insects are coming. And I have a question: How far away the little bug can I be with a 50mm, 105mm and a 150mm macro lens ? I dont want to scare the bugs with the camera and lens.

One more question. I have seen some very cool rigs on the forum. Where they have placed the flash so it's on the side of the camera and aims at the object. Is that something home made or something that is possibe to buy in camera stores? I have looked a bit but could not find any - Please give me an url to a store that sell them.

Regards
    / Johan - 2006 Bug hunter. 1drink.gif

seems like this is a question for Brian *LordV*thumb.gif maybe he'll chime in.
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2006
    You should check out this [thread=25164]thread[/thread] from the Hall of Wisdom. It has some good info in it. Some people use homemade set ups and others use store bought. It just depends on how much money/ingenuity you have. Things such as diffusers can be made from cardboard and papertowel. Brian(Lord Vetinari) uses a [thread=24569]bean pole[/thread] from his garden to steady his shots instead of a mono or tripod. You should search the Other Cool Shots forum, there have been a lot of homemade setups posted there in the past. Here are a couple I found in a couple minutes. Different flash set ups and lenses:

[thread=19237]Lord Vetinari Emergency set up[/thread]
    [thread=17390]Kenko 1.4 Extender[/thread]
    [thread=16088]Tamron 24-135mm Macro shots[/thread]
    [thread=8899]Sigma 150mm[/thread]
    [thread=14146]Extreme Macro[/thread]
    [thread=10512]Canon 100mm w/Kenko Extension Tubes[/thread]
    [thread=14782]Tamron 180 Macro[/thread]

Those are just a couple examples of lenses and set ups I found. I'm sure if you do a good search you will find many others.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto