New Canon D5 sr camera raw issue

lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins

Hi all... love the new look of Dgrin.. My dear son (bless him) gave me a Canon D5 Sr for birthday gift... yes I know.. I'm very lucky... when opening raw files into bridge from the camera (using a direct connection) most of the thumbnails show up but quite often there are some that just show the CR2 file type and no image... I can't figure this out.. I thought maybe it was to do with hi speed shooting but some of them are just single shots taken at leisure.. anyone have the same problem?? Any ideas??

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited February 11, 2018

Hi Lynn, good to see you

I am certain your new camera came with software from Canon to develop RAW files - DPP orDigital Photo Pro I think - Have you tried opening the files with that?

If you can, I would wonder what your version of Bridge is and whether it is up to date for the latest cameras. My version of Bridge, which I believe is up to date is 8.0.1.282 If you do not have an up to date version, I would go to Adobe and track down an update.

If you cannot get DPP to work, then I would investigate your camera to computer connection, but I doubt that is the issue.

Cheers!

I am not certain I understand exactly what camera you have - are you certain is is the Dr sr model, as I cannot find that one on B&H? I do find a 5DS R which is a FF body with a 50+ Mpxl sensor. Is that it?

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator

My first thought was also that your version of Bridge can't handle files from the 5D, but if that's the case, then I doubt that you could open any of the files. Are all your pics shot at the same resolution? What happens when you try to open files without a thumb in Photoshop? Have you tried using a card reader instead of a direct connection to the camera? As Jim suggested, if they don't open in DPP, that would suggest a hardware issue. Software compatibility is usually all or nothing, but hardware can give intermittent problems. Have you tried a different memory card?

• lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins

Hi Path and Richard.. thanks for taking the time to help me... and yes Path.. it's a 5DS R - lol... I could say it was a typo but it's more like senility ...My Photoshop is CC 2018 and my Bridge is the latest up to date. Yes Richard I do take all at the same res. I'll try today with a card reader. I'm using Adobe Bridge to open the files I'll try a different way and see what happens... will report back as to results in case someone else has the same issue..
    Thanks again..
    p.s. by the way.. the camera is AWESOME...

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator

Since your software is up to date, ( and I suspected it probably was ) then a good USB 3.0 card reader would be my next suggestion. Lexar makes a nice one, as do others. Let us know if that solves the issue, please, Lynn.

Post some pictures, I have heard very good things about the 5DS R

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins

here's another link... couldn't seem to edit the discussion before this...
    https://lynn.smugmug.com/All-Unlisted-Galleries/The-Tree-Felling/n-3RZD5z