Copy Gallery or Multiple Images?

ivegotyourpicture.comivegotyourpicture.com Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins

Hi - I know in the past there was no way to copy a gallery, or multiple images (other than using Smart Galleries, which won't work in this case). I need to have the same images in two galleries, so I can use different settings in each gallery. I'm in a location with low/slow network bandwidth, so uploading all the images a 2nd time isn't an option. Any way to do this without copying the images one at a time? Thx.

Tagged:

Comments

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator

@ivegotyourpicture.com said:
    I need to have the same images in two galleries, so I can use different settings in each gallery. I'm in a location with low/slow network bandwidth, so uploading all the images a 2nd time isn't an option. Any way to do this without copying the images one at a time?

I'm not aware of any bulk copy ability in SmugMug. There is a request for a batch copy option on SmugMug's feedback page at http://feedback.smugmug.com/forums/17723-smugmug/suggestions/6684865-batch-copy-option-on-the-organize-page.

For now your options for physical copies are to upload the images a second time or to copy them individually and move the copies to a new gallery.

• FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins

The other possibility which is not simple is to use one of the virtual computer environments, such as amazon, where you can get a windows (or whatever you prefer) up and running. You can download and re-upload images there at gigabit speeds (though there may be bandwidth charges), allowing you to copy. Yes, this is silly given SM could do it easily, but you could do this without waiting.

I also wonder if smart galleries cannot be used in some fashion. Contrary to how most people use them, smart galleries can also hold regular images uploaded, so you can mix-and-match. You can build pretter specific selection lists, that are also not 1:1, i.e. you can put a specific keyword onto images to take it to a gallery, and have multiple such keywords on the same image to go to multiple galleries (and obviously the same keyword to multiple galleries). Mixing that with real uploads gives you a lot of flexibility. I'm not saying it is as nice as a bulk copy, but again, something you can work with without waiting for a feature request.

• ivegotyourpicture.comivegotyourpicture.com Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins

Thanks for the suggestions. The main problem I'm trying to overcome is watermarks. I want them in the 'source'/original gallery, but not on the images in the 'smart'/copied gallery.

@ivegotyourpicture.com said:
    Thanks for the suggestions. The main problem I'm trying to overcome is watermarks. I want them in the 'source'/original gallery, but not on the images in the 'smart'/copied gallery.

I've never used SM's watermark feature, but since it's a gallery feature, should it not work?

I.e. if you have a standard gallery, and then made a different smart gallery with all the contents of the standard, and watermarked the smart -- does that not work? I have no experience with that, I just would have expected it to. (I think watermarks are in Portfolio and Business plans only so I cannot test it as I do only Power).

edited February 19, 2018

@Ferguson said:
    I've never used SM's watermark feature, but since it's a gallery feature, should it not work?

I.e. if you have a standard gallery, and then made a different smart gallery with all the contents of the standard, and watermarked the smart -- does that not work?

If the watermarks are on the photos in a gallery and you have a smart gallery that pulls the same photos in where the smart gallery is not watermarked but the source gallery is, the watermarks will show on the photos in the smart gallery. I just verified this in a test gallery on my site.

If the OP needs one gallery with watermarks and one without watermarks then the photos will need to be either uploaded twice or copied from one gallery to the other. A smart gallery won't work for this.

@denisegoldberg sorry I cannot test this myself, but how about the reverse - the standard gallery is not watermarked, and you set the smart gallery to be watermarked?

We're talking about watermarks applied by Smugmug, not actual watermarks on the images of course.

edited February 19, 2018

@Ferguson said:
    @denisegoldberg sorry I cannot test this myself, but how about the reverse - the standard gallery is not watermarked, and you set the smart gallery to be watermarked?

We're talking about watermarks applied by Smugmug, not actual watermarks on the images of course.

In the case of a smart gallery there is only one copy of the photos - in the original gallery. The watermark is applied to all of the sizes of the image except the original; applying a watermark in the smart gallery doesn't apply to photos placed in that gallery from a non-watermarked gallery.

I ran a quick test to be sure.

• Gallery 1 is not watermarked.
    • Gallery 2 is a smart gallery pulling the photos from Gallery 1. In Gallery 2 I set a watermark. Photos pulled from Gallery 1 (via a smart rule in Gallery 2) are not watermarked. Photos loaded directly to Gallery 2 are watermarked.

@denisegoldberg thank you for trying, I could not. I guess that makes sense, if someone put an alternative path to the image you still want it watermarked, usually, I was hoping this was a workaround for the OP. But @ivegotyourpicture.com appears to already been well ahead of me there.

• ivegotyourpicture.comivegotyourpicture.com Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins

Thanks everyone for your comments. As I suspected the smart gallery will not work. (sigh). oh well.... I'll find a solution.